Visit Open-E website

Thread: Replication

Default Replication

Hi

Is there any plans for replication/rsync between iscsi servers? We currently have two iscsi enterprise servers and would like to place one at our disaster recovery site and replicate the volumes between sites. I noticed that the source CD contains the rsync package.Help me

Thanks You.

It doesn't work like that because iscsi volumes are filesystem-agnostic according to the open-e side (i.e. it doesn't see files, just blocks). On NAS volumes, the rsync replication works great (in fact, we use it for one of our customers to send their data to our datacenter for disaster recovery). You can also mount the iscsi volumes from another computer that has rsync installed and rsync that way.

HOWEVER, you can use "volume replication" with iscsi volumes, which is block-based replication based on drbd (but it's much easier to use because of the excellent UI that open-e has made). That is more bandwidth- and latency-sensitive. There is a new option that's coming out in the next release of DSS that has support for asynchronous volume replication, like to a disaster recovery site. This is probably what you're looking for, but I'm not sure if the asynchronous version will be available with the iSCSI-only version of the open-e software. Are you using the "DSS" version or the "iSCSI" version?

Robotbeat is correct that only the DSS will have the Auto Failover and async options.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube