Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: second ethernet card hangs up

Default second ethernet card hangs up

I have an open-e nas xsr enterprise

Model: Open-E NAS-XSR ENTERPRISE
    Version:3.10.XE00000000.2364
    Release date:2006-11-14

this has two onboard ethernet cards. I have segmented my lan so that my clients connect over 1 ip range and my backup server and application servers over a second private address space. This means that most of my backup and work traffic never routes outside the switch the open-e nas is attached to.

The open-e unit is about 1 week old. When I configure the two ethernet cards they both work perfectly, I can map drive to the addresses on both the first and second ethernet cards. However after about 15/20 minutes the second ethernet card stops responding. I can reproduce this using ping. Both cards respond then eth1 stops responding after 15 minutes. The only way to bring eth1 back to life is to reboot (power cycle) the nas. The supplier has replaced the motherboard in the unit.

I have a fealing that this is not faulty hard ware but may be a problem with the kernel, but I could be wrong.

Is anyone else experiencing this problem or has a soloution for it?

Can you try with using a crossover cable. Also see if you can try using another approved NIC from our web site compatibility listings. If this does not help please send logs to support@open-e.com
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

OK this morning I added a 3com card. It is seen by the nas and works fine as long as the ip address is in the 130.xxx.xxx.xxx range as soon as I set it to 172.xx.xxx.x range then the card responds for about 15 minutes then hangs up.

Network controllers

3Com Corporation 3C941 Gigabit LOM Ethernet Adapter
    Intel Corporation 82573E Gigabit Ethernet Controller (Copper) (rev 03)
    Intel Corporation 82573L Gigabit Ethernet Controller

Network drivers:
    Intel(R) PRO/1000 Network Driver
    SysKonnect SK-NET Gigabit Ethernet SK-98xx driver
    SysKonnect Gigabit Ethernet driver

have sent support at eopen a copy of the log files

The critical_error.log file shows the following:

Dec 15 18:32:42 nas ip_test_log: WARNING: Two or more network adapters are in the same subnetwork.

Please check to see if there is another duplicated IP Address on the network.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

I have checked and no duplicate ip address in the network.

I run ping 172.xxx.xxx.xxx -n 1000. There is no reply until the nas is power cycled. The I get a response for about 15 minutes then no more response.

Peter

Can you test this using a 10.x.x.x network (using a crossover) and a 192.168.x.x. Then test with crossover to the 172.x.x.x.

Are you using any Jumbo frames?
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

OK have tested and it is fine with crossover cable

so the play so far is

When the two Ethernet cards are in the same subnet then everything works fine. I only encounter problems when one card is in the 130.209.232.x range and the other card is in the 172.20.232.x range.

The tests so far

Initial set up
    Et0 onboard 130.209.232.x
    Et1 onboard 172.20.232.x

Ping these two cards and after about 15 minutes et1 hangs up

Change
    Et1 onboard 130.209.232.x

Ping these cards all works perfectly

I have added a 3com card and there are now three ether net cards in the system

Et1 onboard 130.209.232.x
    Et2 3com 172.20.232.x

Then I ping all three cards and after about 15 minutes the et2 hangs up, eto and 1 remain fine.

ping in with cross over cable is fine.

Peter

Let me see if I understand correctly - when you used another NIC and a crossover cable everything is working fine with 172.x.x.x?

If yes then could there be a switch issue or software installed on another system. We had a customer use GoldDisk on a system that would block certain requests from systems (like ping) that they forgot to mention. Please check for similar.

If no send logs to support. If you have sent logs please try to stay with one engineer for support this helps us duplicate efforts.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

problem identified

Support asked me to revert to an nas-xsr version 3.08 which has an older kernel. Once applied both interfaces stay up ( well for three hours so far, previously 16 minutes). So looks like a kernel issue?

Peter

Peter,
    I saw this in support as well; please keep in touch with them to keep tracking this issue. What is weird we have another customer with same virtual setup and version and not a problem. But in this case there is a kernel problem. Thanks for being patient.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"