Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Problem Replicate NAS Volumes

Default Problem Replicate NAS Volumes

2 boxes with 3518.

I have problems replicating the NAS Volumes, because I cannot see any destination volume on the source filer.

What i've done:
    Created a NAS Volume with Repl. on each filer. Set one as source and the other as destination. Giving the IPs of each other. But cannot see any dest. vol.

Am I missing something?

regards
    Matthias

Hi Mhubert

Are you using data or volume replication ?

If volume replication, make sure the volumes are the exact same size.

( I type the volume size to be sure)

can you ping the dest from the source ?

If you are using the Volume Replication for NAS you wont see the Destination until you switch the roles from Source > Destination and Destination (Clear Metadata) > Source.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Hi symm,

i am using volume replication.
    both boxes can see and ping each other.

the source volume is 500GB and has already data and shares on it. Replication was enabled afterwards.
    on destination site, i cretaed a new 500GB volume with replication enabled at creation time. Could this be a problem? Both volumes show a size of 500GB + 0.12 reserved for replication.

cheers
    Matthias

Hi Todd,

not quite sure what you mean, i changed the roles on source filer to destination and on destination filer to source and back again, but i still can't see any dest volume on source filer.

regards
    Matthias

Did you clear the Meta data?

Clearing metadata is required when you want to start the replication process from the beginning. Another usage example is when the data on the source volume is inconsistent and you want to restore it from the destination volume. In this situation you need to switch replication modes between the volumes (i.e. the destination volume should now be in source mode, while the previous source should be switched to destination mode). Before starting a replication for a new source and destination please clear the metadata from the previous destination volume. When replication is complete the data on the previous source volume will be consistent. If a volume is set to the destination replication mode then it will not be visible in the iSCSI initiator.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

yes, i cleared the metadata. But why should there be any metadata? I want to start a new replcation task.

Maybe I should explain in more details:

on my primary DSS I have two existing NAS Volumes, which I want to replicate to the secondary DSS. Therefore I enabled the replication option on the primary (which broke my existing NFS sessions, by the way) and created two new volumes with replication on the secondary. Now I want to setup a new replication task on the primary but can't see any volume from my secondary DSS in the "Destination Volume" field, no matter what I change from "Source", "Destination" or "Clear Metadata". Mirror IP is correct.

regards
    Matthias

Sounds like it should be working

Are both systems on the same subnet ?
    How far away is the destination DSS?
    If the destination is in another location did you enable replication over WAN?

Yes, they are on the same subnet and can ping each other.
    It has already worked with version 3278, now i have 3518.

cheers

Are both systems on the same version Source - 3518 & Destination - 3518?

Check this doc out and verify the steps.

http://www.open-e.com/library/product-presentations/

Open-E Replications

2008 - Open-E DSS Synchronous Volume Replication over a LAN, April 2009
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"