Visit Open-E website
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Volume manager can not use added space

Thread has average rating 4.50 / 5.00 based on 2 votes.
Thread has been visited 449159 times.

Exclamation

Does anybody already know the solution for this issue?

I've just expanded my Areca 1222 array, succesfully resized the PV and rebooted.
    The volume manager does show the correct, expanded, size, but the free space indicator is stuck at exactly the old volume size.

Is the migration complete with the Areca? If so try to reboot one more time, I have seen this happen sometimes. Let me know if that does the trick.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Arrow

Thanks for your incredibly quick reply!

I will reboot one more time tomorrow - I had just started a full array check on the controller and I prefer to wait for that to be finished first.
    I'll keep you informed!

Talking

Time for an update!

This is what I've tried:

- Full raid array check
    - Extra reboot
    - Cold start

But still: no luck.

What eventually did the trick? Rerunning the PV resize command and an extra reboot!
    Although I would be curious to know why it was necessary, I'm happy that it works.

Thanks for the update!

Very rarely it happens but I have seen this with the Areca and you should only have to do this once or if it is still building or migrating it can be that as well.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

After addeing six 1TB disk to a raid 5, with ten 1 TB disk from before, I am unable to expand logical volume to utilize the new free space.

I've run PV resize and rebooted several times, but I'm only allowed to create a new logical volume using the free space, not able to add the free space to the existing logical volume

Is the RAID migration of the new disks completed from the RAID controller? If it is verify the RAID health from the controller.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

The disk is added to the array, I was told to run some console commands.
    Last edited by Gr-R; 04-11-2012 at 10:45 PM.

Just in case, here is the correct procedure when resizing RAID array in DSS V6:

1). Apply appropriate Storage extension Key or make sure that your current license key is valid also for the storage size after the LUN size extension,
    2). Expand the LUN size using the H/W RAID tools(RAID migration)
    3). Perform "Unit rescan" (DSS webgui -> CONFIGURATION ->volume manager -> Vol. groups)
    4). PV Resize (DSS Console -> ctrl + alt + X -> 11. PV Resize)
    5). Reboot

In case you are using trial version, you don't have to apply the storage extension key because trail version is for unlimited storage.

BR,
    Tomek

Time for an update! Thank you.