Visit Open-E website

Thread: System freezes while booting

Exclamation System freezes while booting

Hello,

one of our two DSS v6 (b3719) is freezing while booting sometimes. There comes "loading ...", then the shield with rotating circle, and at 27% the system freezes. After one or two resets it's booting without troubles to "selftest OK".

Could this be a problem with USB DOM?

Should I send logfiles to support?
    regards,
    Lukas

descience.NET
    Dr. Lukas Pfeiffer
    A-1140 Wien
    Austria
    www.dotnethost.at

DSS v6 b4550 iSCSI autofailover with Windows 2008 R2 failover cluster (having still some issues with autofailover).

2 DSS: 3HE Supermicro X7DBE BIOS 2.1a, Areca ARC-1261ML FW 1.48, 8x WD RE3 1TB, 1x Intel PRO1000MT Dualport, 1x Intel PRO1000PT Dualport.

2 Windows Nodes: Intel SR1500 + Intel SR1560, Dual XEON E54xx, 32 GB RAM, 6 NICs. Windows Server 2008 R2.

Quote Originally Posted by pfeifferl
    Hello,

one of our two DSS v6 (b3719) is freezing while booting sometimes. There comes "loading ...", then the shield with rotating circle, and at 27% the system freezes. After one or two resets it's booting without troubles to "selftest OK".

Could this be a problem with USB DOM?

Should I send logfiles to support?
    hi,

have you had a look at the logs yourself? Especially if the system came up on the second try, then there might be rotated logs from the boot attempt before available.

With regards,
    Jens

Just a few minutes ago I started my DSS again, and again while booting the system resets itself and booted again. The second boot was successful. I downloaded the log files. Where should I start my research? I have no Linux experience ...
    regards,
    Lukas

descience.NET
    Dr. Lukas Pfeiffer
    A-1140 Wien
    Austria
    www.dotnethost.at

DSS v6 b4550 iSCSI autofailover with Windows 2008 R2 failover cluster (having still some issues with autofailover).

2 DSS: 3HE Supermicro X7DBE BIOS 2.1a, Areca ARC-1261ML FW 1.48, 8x WD RE3 1TB, 1x Intel PRO1000MT Dualport, 1x Intel PRO1000PT Dualport.

2 Windows Nodes: Intel SR1500 + Intel SR1560, Dual XEON E54xx, 32 GB RAM, 6 NICs. Windows Server 2008 R2.

Lukas,

most of the files are simple text files.

Unpack the log file to some temporary directory.

All files older than the failing reboot obviously can be skipped

Most kernel message go into "dmesg", looking at an older log dump it looks to me that this file is rotated every 24 hours and upon reboot.

If the boot failed, I'd expect some errors or alike in the corresponding dmesg file.

If that gives no clues, it's up to your intuition to check the other files for messages that might hint at the failing component.

Of course, contacting the very friendly and helpful open-e support team with a copy of the log dump and a short error description might bring you forward, too.

With regards,
    Jens

look at the end of dmesg and dmesg2
    also check critical error.log

if it is stuck booting try unpluging the nic cable

Maybe a problem with boot order in a failover cluster?? I tried booting first the primary node to "selftest ok.", then the secondary (which has the troubles) - and DSS2 booted up without troubles ...?!

Is it neccessary to always boot first the primary node, then the secondary??
    regards,
    Lukas

descience.NET
    Dr. Lukas Pfeiffer
    A-1140 Wien
    Austria
    www.dotnethost.at