Visit Open-E website

Thread: NFS v4 (with autofailover) and Infiniband v4

Lightbulb NFS v4 (with autofailover) and Infiniband v4

We have a customer that has NFS v4 as a requirement. It's a really big account. They also require 32TB NFS volumes, with autofailover. I've got something that starts out at about 192 TB and they require the capability to grow to over 1 PetaByte at least (not in the same volume, necessarily). They also need Infiniband support as an option so they can attach it to their supercomputer cluster.

So, I have it all figured out, but there are a couple things we need but Open-E does not yet support (but should support or has hinted that they will soon support) :

NFS v4
    autofailover with NFS
    32TB replication logical volumes? (This may already be supported, but I think there might be a 16TB limit?)
    Ability to upgrade one server, then "failover" to another server to upgrade the primary one, then failback so that users never have to experience down-time at all (This HAS to be supported by Open-E. It's ridiculous that it isn't already supported, since autofailover for iscsi has been out for a while now).

Optional:
    IPoIB-CM (IPoIB is supported, but not the "connected mode" version. IPoIB is as slow as gigabit ethernet unless you use IPoIB-CM, so it kind of sucks right now)
    Ability to instantly roll-back a volume to a previous snapshot (I know there's a patch out there for LVM that allows this, but it is a beta-quality patch)... otherwise, snapshots are not very useful.

How far is Open-E to doing these things? We would have to engineer the solution ourselves using linux or opensolaris boxes if this isn't possible. We'd MUCH rather be able to use Open-E for this.

Lightbulb

BTW, I seem to remember SOMEBODY mentioning NAS autofailover being available in Q2 or Q3 of 2009... Happy 2010!
    Quote Originally Posted by To-M (moderator)
    (at 12-24-2008, 01:21 AM )

Auto-failover of NAS volumes is EXTREMLY complicated and can be very expensive even our competitors charge big time for this feature!!

We have a manual failover for NAS Volumes also with a scheduled task function.

But guess what we are working on having this in 2009!! Please do not ask for an exact date but we are hoping for our developer GODs to ETA in Q2 or Q3 and still will be less expensive then the big guys !