Visit Open-E website
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NAS goes offline for no apparent reason

hey ken

can you download the system log files and post the end of dmesg.2 and critical error file.
    if there is a bad drive it should show there.

I found the problem - 5 drive array only had 4 functioning drives and has been degraded. Swapping in a new drive doesn't fix the problem, so there must be another hardware issue somewhere. The 9550 controller is obsolete so 3ware is not providing much support for it. The unit is old enough to warrant complete replacement, if I can convince the powers that be here that it's cheaper in the long run.

I'll be doing complete backup on that server today - I just hope it doesn't fail before I can replace it.

Thanks for all of your help! It is greatly appreciated! I have to say that this is the BEST forum experience I have ever had. Keep up the great work!

Best regards,

Ken Izzo
    Montgomery Truss

Glad you are getting it resolved and thanks for the comment as we try to help as bast we can to make sure that you are working. You should look into the DSS V6 and do some replications to so if this happens again you will be able to still continue.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Todd,

I finally got the RAID array to an OK state, but have not restarted the NAS as of yet. If I log on to the Open-E GUI for the NAS, it tells me there is no logical volume (which is what it was doing when the array was degraded). Should I restart the NAS now that the array is good? Will that bring the logical volume back on line?

Thanks for your help!

Ken Izzo
    Montgomery Truss & Panel, Inc

Yes, try to restart and if that does not work try the Repair fileystem and check to see if you can set it as the Default Volume Group in the Extended tools as well.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube