Visit Open-E website

Thread: Open-E performance with vmware

Lightbulb Open-E performance with vmware

Hi,

I'm planning on using Open-E with the Intel SR2612UR box for a vmware environment. I will have two boxed to replicate the data with iscsi failover. Question is, I want to know whether I need to go for the 600GB 15k SAS drives or the 2TB/1TB 7.2k SAS drives.

anyone running such a solution? any performance issues? how many VMs can run from a single Open-E storage system.

Many thanks in advance

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by StorageFreak
    Hi,

I'm planning on using Open-E with the Intel SR2612UR box for a vmware environment. I will have two boxed to replicate the data with iscsi failover. Question is, I want to know whether I need to go for the 600GB 15k SAS drives or the 2TB/1TB 7.2k SAS drives.

anyone running such a solution? any performance issues? how many VMs can run from a single Open-E storage system.

Many thanks in advance
    ----------------------------------------------

Open-e has been very stable fast and efficient for me. It puts extra ram to good use for read cache and can handle loads with minimal effort from the CPU. If these are existing VM's or Physical machines that you are planning on placing on an open-e storage platform. I would recomend gathering statistics on storage performance from them via perfmon or an aporpriate tool for your enviroment. Once you know more about your I/O work loads you will in a better position to decide what you need for hardware.

I am running about 10 VM's via Xenserver. All except a SQL server are running off of ten 1 TB WD RE3 in a Raid 10 Configuration. This supports a typical Infrastructure for about a 100 work stations. But this says very little about my acutal work load.

Iometer Testing for my Open-e Server from a Windows 2003 Server VM hosted on xenserver:
    8k Random IO 70% Read 30% Write ~8000 TPS sustained.
    64k Sequential Reads 200MBps (Mega Bytes)
    64K Sequential Writes 90 MBps ( Mega Bytes )

My numbers would be better but my Drives are in an external array and the cable lenght made Sata 300 unstable so they are throttled down to Sata 150. The above test also were taken with all of my VM's and users active so they are my available capacity while in use.

Good luck with your project let us know more about your work loads if you would like more input.

--Eric

hi guys,

Any idea what's the cost of the SAS drives now?

I am thinking of using SSD. Mushkin's 240GB (SandForce controller based) SSD cost about USD400+ only. The raid controller has to be something based on IOP348 1.2Ghz chip or faster to leverage on the SSD's performance, eg Adaptec 5805Z.

Is this price quite close to SAS drives?