Visit Open-E website

Thread: No system volume error

Default No system volume error

We have dss with 40 tb iscsi target unit working under lsi raid controller.
    After a proper restart system started to give error : no system volume found..services can work without....We cant get the data. I read some post on the forum about the same error. I used c-A-x extended tools . Default volume group is checked vg00. There is no other vg on the system.(as it should be) So i tried to restore lvm config option on the menu. There are 6 restore points. first 3 of them shows vg00 (after the error) But last 3 shows vg01... How can i get my data back. Do i have to rename vg00 to vg01 back? and how can do that?

PS:Sorry for my bad english...

Please find following KB that should help you to solve your issue:
    http://kb.open-e.com/Default-Volume-Group_136.html

I read the article it does not say to much...I can only select vg00 and its already selected... According to lvm restore menu there are 6 restore points. First 3 shows vg00 and they were already created after the error. But last 3 shows vg01 and they were created before the error. Maybe that caused the error. vg01 became vg00...

We need System logs to know more about vg01, but you can see in the above link that it ask to choose the correct volume group, and as you say you already use(choose) vg00, try to unselect the vg00 and reselect it.
    From the console: Press CTRL-ALT-X , Use the option Select Default Volume Group

Also if you did not do any File system repair, please run a FSR to check that your file system has no issues, read this link to know how to run FS repair:
    http://kb.open-e.com/File-system-repair_138.html

Also if you are using a snapshots from this LV, try to remove them in Extended tools from the Console mode : CTRL + ALT + X then select remove snapshots, then restart the system.

Also I recommend you to check the RAID Controller health, and to update it's firmware.

Raid controller is ok. Raid situation is optimal. Open-e sees raid disk without problem.
    There are no snaphots as i remember. But i deleted them if there are exist...to be sure..
    Fsr says that no drive ...cant be used...
    Press CTRL-ALT-X , Use the option Select Default Volume Group. i did it but there is only vg00 its already checked and you can not change it (maybe its the only vg thats why i cant change it)
    I will send the system logs. What i want to know that is it possible to change vg name from vg00 to vg01 back...

How can get system logs. Always get message from gui ...There is no system volume...

Is this DSS V5 or V6? You could try to use one free drive if one is available as a new Volume Group then make it your default then try to get the logs, then once we know whats happening you can delete the volume group and remove the drive.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Thanks for the answers.
    What i did... Attached another hdd and create vg01 on it. i made it default system volume from C-A-X extended tools. Then i could see iscsi target menu on gui instead of no system volume found error. I created another iscsi target with raid array. Now its working as it should be... I can add 1 hdd to the project expenses

All the best..