Visit Open-E website

Thread: Security questions

Default Security questions

Hi Folks
    I have a difficulty in understanding the levels of security on our DSS server.

I can create a NAS volume and share access to it via the DSS's internal security

Once I have this I can create directories and files on it from our servers.

So if I then select certain directories to be accessed only by certain domain groups - this is another layer of security.

Is the above correct?

Many thanks
    Dave

Yes use the Users and Groups to be able to access the Shares then use the Access Control List from the GUI to assign Read, Write and Execute for the users or groups for the Shares.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Thanks Todd

It answers some of my questions.. but where would a Windows 2008 Domain server's authenticaton fit into this picture

On our domain we have multiple groups that we wish to use to restrict access to various directories.

Will this be done in the Windows Share environment.. i.e. Drive D: is mapped to \\DSS\Share1

Or in the DSS Share Environment

Many thanks
    Dave

Yes, go to the NAS Settings and use the ADS Authentication then follow the video link below and then you can map a drive to the share.

http://www.open-e.com/library/webcasts-and-videos/
    2010.09 Connecting DSS V6 to your ADS server
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Many thanks for that.

Now - our DSS is used for 2 purposes. Firstly a Datastore for all of our companies files and secondly it is the Datastore for our 3 ESX servers (their harddrives).

The volumes for the file servers are seperate from the volumes for the VM drives which will make things easier.

Do you have an idea of how I can attach the Shares to the ESX? So far I have not seen a 'username/password' entry when I do the attachments via VSphere

Again many thanks for all of your advice.
    Dave

Hi.
    I have just watched the video and want to clarify one thing.

If I am looking at a share from within Windows... can I use the Windows Security popup to assign permissions etc to direcotries and files ..

Or must I go into the Open-E DSS and assign the permissions there.

Many thanks
    Dave

The Windows will be handling the detailed permissions, all that needs to be done on the DSS V6 side is to add the users to the shares.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Quote Originally Posted by marcwolf
    Do you have an idea of how I can attach the Shares to the ESX? So far I have not seen a 'username/password' entry when I do the attachments via VSphere
    Dave
    With ESX you need to use NFS, so enable the NFS service in the DSS V6 in NAS Settings then enable it in the NAS Resources for the share then in ESX for Network File services enter the IP Address and the path will be /thesharename
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"