Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dell Openmanage support DSS

Default Dell Openmanage support DSS

Hi all,

I'm currently testing DSS (Open-E) on a Dell server which has a PERC H700 RAID controller on which I've configured a RAID-10 RAID-set. However, I would like to view the status of the disk drives in this array.

On non shared storage servers (virtualization nodes with local storage) we can use the Dell OpenManage software to check the status of our disk drives.

Open-E however does not support this (I think). It is really important for us and other Dell users to have some kind of alert (email or SNMP, either way) in case a drive fails. I do not know if it is possible to go into the Open-E OS shell and integrate it ourselves, I found a SSH option but that was not what I'm looking for.

Anyone got an idea about this?

The DELL controller is an OEM of LSI and our email function will send alerts with the LSI controllers also you should be able to use the MegaRAID storage manager from LSI to view controller and drive information but we dont have this controller in our labs as DELL does not provide us there hardware like all the other manufactures for obvious reasons .
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by To-M
    The DELL controller is an OEM of LSI and our email function will send alerts with the LSI controllers also you should be able to use the MegaRAID storage manager from LSI to view controller and drive information but we dont have this controller in our labs as DELL does not provide us there hardware like all the other manufactures for obvious reasons .
    Todd,

Where can this function be found? I think I'm overlooking something here. Could you perhaps provide a screenshot?

Tom

Email notifications can be set up in SETUP-->administration.(for DSS notifies)
    You can download the MegaRAID storage manager from LSI website, and configure email notifications on the controller this way, as well as see the disks and array info.

How can I use the MegaRAID storage manager together with DSS? Is there some kind of knowledgebase article about this?

The MSM from LSI is its own application you can install on your desktop.
    It can access the DSS server via IP.

Hi Gr-R,

Got a link to the right one? I'll give it a go then. I'm using Windows 7 and a PERC H700 card. I see a lot of different versions. Found the e-mail option, thanks!

Give this a try: (works with most all LSI SAS controllers)
    http://www.lsi.com/downloads/Public/...indows_MSM.zip

Hi Gr-R,

It works but is incredibly slow. Isn't it possible for the Open-E Support Team to install it on my box? It's nothing more then a few commands and it gives me many many more options to maintain this storage unit.

Thanks again!

the Dell openmanage software is not compatible with DSS to be installed, there is no Debian/Ubuntu version.