Visit Open-E website

Thread: very poor iscsi performance on VMware

Default very poor iscsi performance on VMware

HI,

Just installed open-e on a VM and trying to use it as a shared storage on my VMware lab. All setup fine but when I try to copy VMs to the storage it is bearly going above 10bytes write speed.

Any idea????

Thanks

Can you give more information on the hardware being used.

It is running on a 1U Dell PowerEdge SC1435 server with 2 x Dual core AMD Opteron, 8 GB RAM. I am running the open-e as a VM with 2 vCPU and 1GB RAM. It is just for my lab platform so I am not after great performance. If I use Nexenta I can get about 8-10 MB write rate with freenas reaching 12-13 MB. I had created a snapshot on the iSCSI volume on open-e yesterday, I have deleted it and also changed the iSCSI setting from block level to file level. After that I have reached write rate of 18-20MB but in the middle of the copy the write speed gone down to 0 again and I had to reboot the whole system.

I had a look at some best practise guides and it seem very straight forward installation both on server and client side.

What size or kind of files you tried to copy and/or how much file they are.
    after you do a reboot for the whole system, does it work fine? or you face the same issue again?