Hi there (first post),

I was handed a Digiliant Storage Server with 24 x 2TB drives and an Open-E DSS V7 CD. This is a brand new installation.

When I boot up the server, all drives appear to be in a RAID6 (can be changed in the WebBIOS), and when the Open-E installation starts, it asks for the drive I want to install it on, so my only choice is Drive 0 (the 40TB RAID6).

After the install, I can configure DSS through the web console. Our goal is simply to create a single 40TB share. When I first get into the web console, it says No Units found under Volume Groups, but if I go to Hardware RAID, it allows me to remove the existing one, and create one by choosing all 24 drives, which is our goal. It initializes the volume and I can mount the share it in Linux just fine, however, when the SAN is rebooted, it appears as if the Open-E software is no longer there, as if the initialization of the volume overwrote the management software.

What am I doing wrong? Is there supposed to be a separate partition for the management software? Am I supposed to use one of the 2TB drives as a separation management partition?

Thanks in advance.