I bought a "new" 40 gig IDE drive, ran the official Western Digital tester on it and it came back 100% good. I used Darrik's Boot N Nuke to scrub the drive clean and it finished with no errors. I installed that latest version of V6, set to boot in 32 bit mode, activated online, and NOTHING has CHANGED. In fact, that was the first bit of hardware to change in probably five years now. I can change NTP settings, time zone, and I can see automatic updates of the configuration is being saved, even after yet another complete new install. My SW RAID remains in good condition using four SATA drives. Every setting on the "Settings" page always reverts back to nothing/default when I click apply. Configure FTP, click apply, it comes back with all empty fields. The SAMBA settings are locked down to external LDAP, and when I set it to internal and set the DN, etc, click apply, and it comes back with blank fields. In the status page it continues to show SMB "Failed". I can generate a log file but its encrypted or something, can't read it. <losing hair fast on this one!>
Folks, GR-R is the real deal ... he outlined a procedure to make this stubborn installation come back to life. A HUGE public Thank You to Gr-R for his selfless gift of time and knowledge.
Sadly, after all of this work, the machine lived for an hour before another issue arose. I was able to begin retrieving files from the server and an hour into transferring the box locked up hard. I had to hit the reset switch and now DSS boots to a pure white screen immediately after the memory test option screen. I ran the memory test, which ran successfully, but for tonight I'm done, will reload the boot media tomorrow. May be time to also move the raid to another box and try again.
Anyway, I wish there was a proper way to convey my thanks to Gr-R for his help, and I hope you folks realize the asset he is to this community.
You are very welcome for the help.
Sorry to hear it had further issues though.
For all listening--
Changes made from the Configuration menu could not be saved, and services not responding.
Added a extra IDE drive to the system so an alternate default volume group could be created. Once added, the default volume group was moved to the new VG, and a fresh set of config files could be written. System worked as expected.