Visit Open-E website

Thread: MBR write failed. Installation not finished

Default MBR write failed. Installation not finished

Downloaded dss_lite_win_setup_20080201.exe yesterday and get the errror, "MBR write failed. Installation not finished." After reviewing the install notes and the other posts in this forum I can't seem to get it to work. I have tried 2 different USB flash drives. One 512MB the other 8GB. Tried from Windows Visa, XP, and even 2k. I downloaded from both US servers and got the same result.

I read about this product on drunkendata.com and was anxious to give it try so I am hoping someone might have an easy fix?

Thanks for any help.

-clever

Are you shore that this pendrive you checked have only one partition ? There are many pendrives that have 2 partitions (one very small and mostly hidden for windows). It is used for pre-installed software mostly but it could be also compatibility with USB-FDD.

Default U3 software and Admin privledges

Lucky,

Thanks for the idea about the extra partition. I found the u3 unistall utility and removed the partition. I think the main issue was admin rights on my workstation(s). I verified on a second USB device and it worked with no extra step to remove the extra vendor partition.

Thanks again,

Clever

I have the same issue where two different usb pendrives failed to write to mbr.

I wiped the partition from disk management and formated as FAT32 - still failed to write to mbr.

wonder if it is a bad download

Can't run the setup file from Vista...? It won't let you write to mbr... I tried in WinXP and it works except now that I can't seem to boot from the pendrive even thought I am setup in BIOS to boot from external usb device. ??? any help! Please!

Thanks,

I was able to get it work with vista no problems.

Try to download it again.

I got it to install the mbr from an XP box, but not Vista... Could be my antivirus program causing this...

I now face another issue - I can't boot from USB devices event thought it is configured on the Bios to allow to boot from external devices via usb.

Oh well - I will figure something else.

thanks,

Default MBR Write Solution

Hello -

I just want to add my experience with the MBR Write error I had with a ScanDisk Flash Drive.

I got the same error after formatting the drive three times. I had to make sure I had formatted it in FAT or FAT32. After formatting, I opened the drive to look at files and folders and found two folders still on the disk: Documents and System (hidden folder) which automatically get written to it. I also found an executable called LaunchU3.exe. When I deleted everything from the drive, including the .exe, I was able to install the program and it wrote the MBR with no issues.

-Asaph