Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Performance with iSCSI/Fibre Channel

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

But if you went out and bought 10gbe you wouldnt have to, problem solved!

I'm currently in a similar boat.. need more than 129mb/s on a single path to a host! multipathing is great if you are threading the data in multiple streams but thats not how a single host works.. and thats what I need.. around 300mb/s to each host. the cost seems to be about 200$ per port on the server and about 500$ more per port on a switch, which theoretically is the evolution in high speed infrastructure, thats not a bad price to pay for something thats still going to be considered smokin' fast 5 years from now. What do you think Todd? have you guys played at all with a pure 10gbe san?

The Neterion's are right in front of me (4 feet to be exact ) - I have the cable to interconnect just need the switch and the time. I might do a short 2 min. video demo of replicating with the 10GbE Neterions in mid Jan. for the replication function. netsyphon I can set 2 systems up to have you check it out or I can provide a web demo - let me know.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

are the only 10gbe switches out in blade form? got any examples of a good switch? should we use the fiber or cx4?

im working on getting some oracle database servers running solaris x86 using these cards.

The Fajitsu XG1200 is not a blade.. it looks funcky and fat.. but haa it might be the right one..

Most of the customers are using the Fujitsu XG700 which is the 12 port of CX4.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by netsyphon
    should we use the fiber or cx4?
    My own research shows that CX4 is a much cheaper than Fiber in total cost of implementation.

With CX4 the transceiver is build into the switch. With Fiber the transceivers are a separate (and expensive) options, since there are different types of Fiber transceivers for different transmission distances.

Fiber is only better/cheaper in the actual cables; CX4 cables are more expensive and bulkier than Fiber.

Finally, most CX4 cables only supports connections to a maximum distance of about 20m (although Intel offers slim CX4 cables which support distances up to 100m)

very helpful!!!

ill have to play with some of this stuff

im working on getting some oracle database servers running solaris x86 using these cards.
    The only problem I would have with that card is that you need to purchase a separate transceiver; whereas a card like the Intel® PRO/10GbE CX4 Server Adapter comes as a single unit; just provide the cables and go.

The Intel card is ~$875 whereas the Sun card alone is $950 with the transceiver ranging from $1500 to $3500.

Quote Originally Posted by SeanLeyne
    The only problem I would have with that card is that you need to purchase a separate transceiver; whereas a card like the Intel® PRO/10GbE CX4 Server Adapter comes as a single unit; just provide the cables and go.

The Intel card is ~$875 whereas the Sun card alone is $950 with the transceiver ranging from $1500 to $3500.
    also looks like the same card minus the sun logo.. thanks!

also looks like the same card minus the sun logo.. thanks!
    I thought so as well, but the product literature indicates that it comes with the appropriate CX4/XPAK module (transceiver), which has a separate price of ~$400.

Separately, I didn't see anything about CX4 in my reading of the Sun card details -- though I didn't read all the details.