Visit Open-E website

Thread: Hardware Upgrade

Default Hardware Upgrade

Hi,

I have 2 DSS V7 systems with activ-activ replication, the hardware is 6 years old. Now I will change the hardware to new server. Is there a "best practice" roule to change the DSS to the new hardware.

Thanks for help

regards

barny

Nothing special to worry about here. Just install on new systems and your off and running.
    If the idea is to actually replicate the data to the new systems, you will want to do one at a time so you can set up the replication partner.

thanks for the answer.
    Yes, I will replicate the data to the new systems. But the system are completely different. The CPU´s, the volumes and the targets are different, the new ones are larger. Is it possible to make replication between these systems?

barny

You will need to match the same volume size exactly so you will need to either increase the older one or decrease the newer one to match the same size.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Is it possible to increase the newer one after the replication, without problemes with the targets?

barny

Quote Originally Posted by bernd234 View Post
    Is it possible to increase the newer one after the replication, without problemes with the targets?

barny
    You will not want to do this with an active iscsi connection, but data will be unaffected:
    http://www.open-e.com/service-and-su...gical-volumes/

Hi,

Thanks for the information, now Ihave replicated the volumes to the new hardware. Now I have to move the licenses from the tow old server to the new ones. How can I do this?

barny

Quote Originally Posted by bernd234 View Post
    Hi,

Thanks for the information, now Ihave replicated the volumes to the new hardware. Now I have to move the licenses from the tow old server to the new ones. How can I do this?

barny
    You may add the license to the new server, and reboot. Take the old one offline, and activate the new one at this point (HELP-->About Data Storage Software, activation area)

Thanks,

that is an easy way, now I´m finished with the hardware upgrade.

barny