Visit Open-E website

Thread: Accessing NFS share behind a firewall?

Default Accessing NFS share behind a firewall?

Hi,

I set up a NAS share, which I access using NFS.

I wanted to know if open-e implementation of NFS was using a particular port/range of ports so I could set up my firewall accordingly between the client machine and the DSS server.

Help would be much appreciated for this case

I found this this site googling for an answer to a question I had about my DSS server
    https://kb.open-e.com/
    check it out

Has anyone found the answer to this, with the core OS being Debian, you would think that the STATDOPTS, RPCMOUNTDOPTS, RPCQUOTADOPTS could be configured to be static set ports. If someone has this working through their firewall could you please provide random port range(s), thanks

The nfsd operates at port 2049, both udp and tcp protocols. The port mapped at port 111, tcp and udp, and mounted at port 745 and 747, tcp and udp. Normally. You should check the ports with the rpcinfo -p command.
    of other software that check ports.

If on the other hand you want NFS to go through a firewall there are options for newer NFSds and mounts to make them use a specific (nonstandard) port which can be open in the firewall.

in DSS you may check option "Insecure" - the DSS will listen on higher ports for NFS mount requests
    in DSS there is no option to specify this port.
    DSS just uses random port from 1024-65536 if insecure option is checked.