Visit Open-E website

Thread: Canīt create iscsi snapshot

Default Canīt create iscsi snapshot

Hi,
    iīve created an logical volume 465GB!
    Now i wanīt to create a 465GB snapshot in this volumegroup !
    i choose New Snapshot ,give 465Gb of the free place to them and check accept an then:
    nothing happens - no snapshot, 465GB free place und no error appers on the screen!

Please Help, i try backup our new iscsi volume and i need the snapshot for this procedure!

Thanks Manu

Manu,

For snapshot size, they generally should be about 3 times the size of your changes (differences). As an example, if you had 50GB in changes during the selected time period, your snapshot for that time period should be about 150GB. From another perspective, they should be about 10 to 15% of the total space in the Logical Volume. These are not hard and fast rules, but a good rule of thumb is to leave plenty of extra space in your snapshot for growth. You can monitor how much space you need for data differences and adjust the size of your snapshots accordingly.

Remember the snapshot is designed to capture changes; it's not something to use to store data. It's a better practise to make your snapshot smaller than the LV, which is where your main data store is.

...hope this helps.

Asaph

Asaph,
    thank You for your reply.
    I understand it!

But that is not the problem that i had! The problem is that itīs impossible to create a snapshot. I Try 10 GB 100Gb 250GB - Nothing happens!

Regards, Manu

you did press apply in volume manager
    could you send screen shots?