Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Snapshot activation fails

Default Snapshot activation fails

When I try to activate a snapshot on one of our logical volumes, it appears to work for about 30 seconds or so. Then the event log shows the following error message:

Code:
    Error creating snaphot snap01000 in Volume Group <long semi-random string>. Error 6 (Cannot mount snapshot). Look into logs for details.
    Unless I'm missing something, the tasks log is not much help either. There are two tasks listed for each time I try to activate a snapshot:
    • Action: Stopped / Status: OK
    • Action: Started / Status: FAILED

The 'Stopped' task happens about 30 seconds prior to the corresponding 'Started' task. And that's about all the info the log appears to have.

Any idea why mounting the snapshot fails? And what happens to changes that were made to disk during those 30 seconds?

-Michael

How many Snapshots do you have and are they for iSCSI Logical Volumes, NAS Logical Volumes or for Backup. What is the size of the Snapshot for the assigned Logical Volume?
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

There is one 200GB snapshot partition on a 4.5TB NAS logical volume. I highly doubt it could be running out of space in 30 seconds given our rate of data turnover, though.

Assuming this was always working before until recently as this message is now appearing, any information as to what events had taken place before this error appeared? Was there a recent update to DSS.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Actually, this is the first time we've tried using snapshots with the DSS, so I don't know if the problem would have existed with a previous version.

It could that the snapshot was successfully created but the filesystem can't mount it. This could be resulting that the xfs is corrupted or not enough resources to mount it (memory).
    You can try to run the "Repair filesystem on LV" from the Extended Tools function in CTRL + ALT + X.

If this does not fix the issue send logs from STATUS > HARDWARE > LOG then click on the "Download" button and send logs to support@open-e.com
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

I doubt the machine is running out of memory, since it's got 16GB of RAM. As for running xfs_repair, I'd rather not do so unless it's absolutely necessary, since it would require bringing the NAS down temporarily.

I've sent the log files as you suggested, though.

Default Solution of the problem ?

Hi, is there a solution.
    I have the same problem.

regards

Bernd

Quote Originally Posted by bs183
    Hi, is there a solution.
    I have the same problem.
    We ended up deleting the snapshot volume, upgrading to the latest DSS, then re-creating the snapshot volume. That seems to have fixed the problem.

-Michael

Hallo Michael,

we are now using Version 5.0.DB46000000.3084.

What is your running version ?

Bernd