Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: replication

Default replication

Hello

I need to implement a solution with DSS with iSCSi and NAS volumes replicating the data to another DSS that are in another building. So far so good.
    The question is...if the master DSS crash, how can I redirect all the users to data in the other DSS ?

Thanks

BR

This solution is available via failover, which will be implemented in the next DSS release.
    This technology will be available for iSCSI only.
    The automation is done using a "Heartbeat" cable that is connected to the two servers.
    If you want to use it you need to use virtual IP address. If primary DSS goes down then the second DSS goes up and takes over IP address from the primary machine.
    Next DSS release should be available in couple of days.
    Open-E - Knowledgebase
    Best Regards Richard
    Open-E Technical Support Engineer

Default iSCSI auto-failover

Yes, cool feature we're all waiting for such a loooong time ...

Question: Will auto-failover be an active-active Solution (load-balanced), or "only" fail-over?

regards,
    Lukas

Quote Originally Posted by pfeifferl
    Yes, cool feature we're all waiting for such a loooong time ...

Question: Will auto-failover be an active-active Solution (load-balanced), or "only" fail-over?

regards,
    Lukas
    Our failover will be working in active/passive mode.
    Active-active has been added to our TO DO list but there is no ETA for it yet.
    Open-E - Knowledgebase
    Best Regards Richard
    Open-E Technical Support Engineer

So there is no way to set up even a manual switchover to a replicated Open_E server? For example, I have two identical servers. Primary is online, the secondary is strictly a replication destination for the primary. Should there be a catastrophic failure of the Primary I want the secondary to take over as soon as possible.

The only way I can see to do it now is to manually reconfigure everything on the secondary server which could take days. Disabling replication or changing to source, set up all the shares, permissions etc.

There's no way to keep a copy of the pertinent config options and copy them over?

If you are using volume replication and the primary fails
    Just change the destination server to source and clear the metadata click apply
    CONFIGURATION -> volume manager -> Vol. replication -> Function: Volume replication mode.
    then change the ipaddress of the destination to that of the source
    After that you should be all set

Quote Originally Posted by To-L
    If you are using volume replication and the primary fails
    Just change the destination server to source and clear the metadata click apply
    CONFIGURATION -> volume manager -> Vol. replication -> Function: Volume replication mode.
    then change the ipaddress of the destination to that of the source
    After that you should be all set
    Ok, I see that gets the former Destination set as the source for replication. What about all the other configuration information needed since the former destination is now serving the data? Shares, permissions etc? You cannot set that up in advance when a volume is a destination.

thanks

mmmm.....

When you set your replication, you create the shares, and set the permissions ahead.. so when failure happen you just set the source and the destination...

Quote Originally Posted by SuperSAN
    mmmm.....

When you set your replication, you create the shares, and set the permissions ahead.. so when failure happen you just set the source and the destination...

With Data replication this is possible. With Volume Replication the destination volumes don't appear in NAS Resources. I prefer the idea of one or two replicated volumes vs. a lot of data replication tasks.

SuperSan Is correct.
    With Volume replication
    You can create your share and add users to the destination share prior to starting the Volume replication task.
    If the source fails then change the destination to source and clear the metadata.
    Also change the IP to that of the source and have users reconnect.