Visit Open-E website

Thread: Changing a share name

Default Changing a share name

I named some new network shares on my NAS. No problem. The application/machine run beautifully.

Now, unfortunately, I have to rename these network shares because an application that mounted the old ones, required that the name of the network shares remain the same in order to complete the migration..

That is

1) I had an application that had my old network shares "File Share A", mounted within i
    2) I migrated "File Share A" to my new NAS, called the entire directory "New File Share A"
    3) The application will not mount "New File Share A", it wants the share to be named "File Share A"
    4) SOLUTION: Rename "New File Share A" --> "File Share A"

Seems easy, no? But within open-E console, I am unable to change the share names.

The idiot/retarded way to do this would be to make a new share with the correct name and copy over the file/directories respectively.

I do not want to do this.

It seems to me that if OPEN-E shipped with an ability to have CLI/Shell access, one would be able to log in and make the change to the NFS mounts quite easily and avoid the above mentioned nonsense.

If anyone has a better idea on how to do this w/o the need for shell access....please, let me know

Thanks.

Dear Sir,

Sorry for the inconvenience you have with the share re-name. We saw your ticket in our support system, and our engineers are going to respond.

But for the quick response, we can rename the share by enabling the remote support services. Or, we can check with engineers and provide a small update.

Best Regards,
    SJ

Thumbs down

Sh-J

Thanks for the reply.

There seems to be a disconnect between your engineers and what I have asked for.

I do not want to open my server up to the public (you guys) and have you fix it for me remotely. I want to be able to do this myself.

Unless you are prepared to offer the remote access to me (via some module or some other mechanism), then don't bother. I have already let your other support engineers know what I think of the decision to not ship a fully featured, stanadard linux CLI with your product.