Visit Open-E website

Thread: Why no root access?

Default Why no root access?

We pay over 1500 USD for the OPEN-E license, on top of what is paid for the machines it is hosted on. It is our host, our license at that point - why shouldn't we have full access to it?

The open-e product is stable and easy to work with - not an issue. But there are instances where having a full (standard) command line access to the machine is necessary.

From working with OPEN-E support, I see that they do not offer it but likely have some way of accessing the host servers via cli because they offered to fix my problem that way (via ssh).

So...

1) Why does OPEN-E not ship this module? You are a GPL'd product, shipping your source modules with the license. So it's not an issue of someone copying your custom code. Was this just an oversight? How could you think that no one (linux admin) would NOT want root access?

2) How to get root access? I'm referring to a full cli access, not that stupid cli@localhost account that does almost nothing.

Thanks.

NAS-R3 Enterprise is $1117.00 US, also you had posted a similar topic on the forum and we have addressed this as well via email from support. In addition we provide DSS LITE 1TB version for free and a DSS Demo-CD trial version of up to 60 days for all users to test and review our products for their acceptance before engaging further.

Currently we provide the source CD with our professional products. They do not contain our sources for GUI and scripts. We are certified by FSF as well. We are working on a release to allow cli access but please be patient as we will not be able to provide this now as we need additional time for many reasons of support and development.

Open-E has been on the market for a long time with this setup and we want to provide this but would like to offer this in our future releases. ETA is not set but targeting Q1 of 09’.

I hope we can move forward on this subject as our engineers have provided alternatives to assist you on the Share name change and they would be more than happy to assist you in future matters as well. We will not be able to provide additional information on this subject until this new release.

Feel free to email me if you have any further questions.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

there is:

http://sourceforge.net/projects/cgi-shell/

and things like this.

You could have found a way to integrate that into your webserver (just as a suggestion, i'd rather use a ssh client). Doing something like that is almost trivial at that point, especially considering that there is a product out there (GPL) that you can already use to do it.

Yeah, so in the end, I'll just translate your comments as a general apology and inability to provide something this simple. Again, because you have offered to help, I know you already have this available but are unwilling to give it out for whatever reason. I'm sure it's a good reason.