Aloha!

We're currently running an Exchange 2003 Server on a Windows Server 2003 with all the mailboxes residing on Direct Attached SCSI. The Windows server is a physical machine - no need to virtualize yet....

Now, I'd like to use our brand new Open-E DSS box to put the MS Exchange mailboxes up there.

As far as I know I can chose between iSCSI and CIFS in order to access the networked volume from my Windows 2003 Server.
Is there any experience around, on how Exchange shows the best performance: iSCSI or CIFS??

(...Common knowledge would yell "iSCSI". But that was also te case two years ago, when, on my old company, we implemented a VMware host, accessing it's vmdk's on an open-e box: In the end we were more than happy that we ignored "common knowledge" and implemented it using NFS. :-))

The Open-E box as well as the Windows server are outfitted with dual port Ethernet cards, which will be configured as a bonded interface into the storage network, in order to give us more performance.

It would be nice if you could share your experiences (good ones as well as bad ones).

Thanks!
Oliver.