Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SuperMicro P8SCT won't boot

Default SuperMicro P8SCT won't boot

I am trying to get a USB DOM with the latest version of iSCSI R3 to boot on a SuperMicro P8SCT Motherboard. It properly detects the USB DOM and will boot to Memtest just fine, however whenever I try to load Open-E all I get is a blinking cursor in the upper left hand corner. It never progresses to "Loading..." or gives me the splash screen showing the loading percent.

This USB Dom works fine with two other machines I have here (different SuperMicro board models)

Any suggestions? I have updated my BIOS to the lastest version available from SuperMicro.

How long have you waited for the system to boot? I have a Dell PE that showns nothing beyond loading the initial ramdisk. No "Loading...", no progress bar.

After about 7 minutes Open-E suddenly comes up. Suppose that the system has some problems with the graphics card while loading.

Cheers,
    budy
    There's no OS like OS X!

I let it run all night, still nothing in the morning. I think I'll try dropping a video card in it, maybe the onboard video just doesn't work with Open-E. I know the demo CD griped and complained about it...

Hi Ratbert

Try enabling legacy mode in the bios

I've tried enabling/disabling in all possible combinations:

USB Legacy support
    USB 2.0 support
    USB emulation type (Auto/HDD)
    Hyperthreading support
    No-Execute Memory Protect
    Onboard SATA controller (Auto/Enhanced/Disabled)
    ACPI
    Onboard video 8MB/1MB

Also With and without an Adaptec 2820SA and Intel 1000/MT

Also, using a basic PCI VGA card instead of the onboard didn't change anything.

Has anyone successfully used a Supermicro X7SBE board with Open-E? I'm trying to find a replacement if the P8SCT won't fly.

Hi Ratbert

How much memory do you have in the P8SCT.
    It should work as I have seen other customers using that motherboard.
    Did you try turning off any power management features in the Motherboard BIOS

There is 2GB of memory. The only power related option I have in BIOS is to enable/disable ACPI. I've tried it both ways.

Try booting the system with the module and after POST hit the "Escape" key to enter a basic menu then select "Rescue mode". If it boots from this to the Console then go to CRT + ALT + T and select "Boot options" then select "Boot parameters" and disable all and reboot normally to see if this works.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

No change. Gave it a half hour and nothing ever happened.