Visit Open-E website

Thread: Volume replication: constant load on drives

Default Volume replication: constant load on drives

Hi all,

I have been playing around with the volume replication feature and impacts the performance significantly.

Now, I have swapped out a fairly old server and swapped in a quite new one, to make sure that have hte fasted speeds possible to and from my RAID systems. Both Open-E boxes achieve 110 MB/sec to and from the RAIDs.

Then I started the replciation job and after the initial replication had been finished, both RAIDs still show quite a huge amount of "traffic". The source volume shows consistent reads of 40 MB/sec. constantly, even when no iSCSI initiator is connected to that volume.

The destination volume in turn shows a consistent transfer of 25 MB/sec all the time.

Is volume replicaiton really meant to work this way? I though that the Open-E box would only transfer the blocks that have been changed.

Cheers,
    budy
    There's no OS like OS X!

Dear Budy,

What release you are using, the latest? If not, please update your system to the latest version.
    http://www.open-e.com/account/products-and-updates/

regards,
    SJ

Hi SJ,

right now, I am using the demo cd to evaluate Open-E. I have searched the forums a bit and it seems that there is to a new demo cd scheduled to be released next monday.

Maybe, I will get better results with the new version, as it seems that the current demo cd is quite outdated.

But what I gather from your question is, that this is not the way its meant to be, so that's at least good news.

Cheers,
    budy
    There's no OS like OS X!