Visit Open-E website

Thread: Poor performance on READ CIFS and NFS

Default Poor performance on READ CIFS and NFS

We have a SSR212MC running DSS ( last version) equiped with one LSI Megaraid 8888LP SAS/STA RAID conected to 12 x 750 Gb SATA II segate HD mount as one RAID 6 ARRAY one volume.
    We can achive in CIFS-NFS about 100 MB/s writing 1MByte block size ( using DD test in NFS and Disktest in CIFS) and only 25 MB in READ ( sequential test )
    When we do a File copy in CIFS we can achive only 30 in wrrite and 25 in read !!!!

Does somebody see the same problem ?
    Any special solution ?
    Could it be comming from the driver used fro this LSI Megaraid ?

We have an Old NAS R3 version running on an other system wihtout any performances problems.

HI Phil91

Could you check that the cache is enabled on the LSI card and verify that the firmware is up to date.

Keep us posted

Hi Phil,
    Given that you are seeing this with NFS-CIFS, do you see the same issue with HTTP and/or FTP?
    Secondly do you have your NIC's bonded?

Thirdly, how are you getting such good write speeds? The reason I ask is that we have had major issues with the NICS in our SSR212MC <10MBs so we had put this down to an issue with the Intel Pro1000 driver, which was fixed by a mini update and broke again in the latest full update.....

Rgds Ben

Default It's the NIC's?

I'm also using 2 SSR212MC's and it the NIC that are causing me problems?

I have 3 NIC's bonded 802.3ad (LACP), and I'm getting CRAP for transfer (16-25 MB/s).

During the test phase, I was getting 100MB/s from OpenFiler, and I'm really suprised by the crap performance I'm getting.

How did you fix the NIC issue?

Are you running the latest DSS V5 version "4562"? Also what does the test.log show for the ifconfig for the nics? What is RAID Controller and is the write cache enabled?
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by napoleon41
    I'm also using 2 SSR212MC's and it the NIC that are causing me problems?

I have 3 NIC's bonded 802.3ad (LACP), and I'm getting CRAP for transfer (16-25 MB/s).

During the test phase, I was getting 100MB/s from OpenFiler, and I'm really suprised by the crap performance I'm getting.

How did you fix the NIC issue?

For some reason, a bit of what I bolded isn't showing up. Here's my comment unbolded and all there. l

Quote Originally Posted by napoleon41
    For some reason, a bit of what I bolded isn't showing up. Here's my comment unbolded and all there. l
    I guess the answers still aren't there for us:

To-M asks:
    Are you running the latest DSS V5 version "4562"? Also what does the test.log show for the ifconfig for the nics? What is RAID Controller and is the write cache enabled?

If we have this info, perhaps we can give you some advice as to settings, or compatibility.