Visit Open-E website

Thread: free space not expanding

Default free space not expanding

Hello,

I added more HDDs to my DSS, and so I had a larger volume (group) after reboot. But the free space for volumes didn't grow ...! See this screenshot >> www.dotnethost.at/download/dss_vg00.gif !!

regards,
    Lukas

Hi pfeifferl

Did you follow these steps to expand your RAID?

1. Add the new disk drive(s) to the server
    2. Configure your RAID array on the RAID controller of your server or Open-E GUI (Setup->H/W RAID) If the controller is supported
    3. “Expand RAID Set” from the controller by choosing and adding the drive to the RAID set.
    This will take some time as the RAID will migrate the new drive. Users has to wait until migration is done. Then reboot (may take long time depending on size of disk drive)
    4. After that, users have to “Modify the volume” In the RAID controller. And reboot.
    5. In Open-E console, go to Extended Tools (C-A-X)
    Select ‘PV Resize’
    When the RAID array comes up press ‘OK’.
    Next window should read ‘Finishing’, press Enter to reboot
    REBOOT the system
    6. Now you will see the new size of the VG that is usable.

Note: It require to do a reboot almost after each step.

OK, thank you. Yes I did all steps except step 5, because I thought the resize would work without reboot ...

Do you plan an update which will allow PV resize WITHOUT reboots?? Would be great, a storage box should be online the whole time, and each downtime for these and that would be very annoying ...

regards,
    Lukas

Default Annoying reboot

Quote Originally Posted by pfeifferl
    OK, thank you. Yes I did all steps except step 5, because I thought the resize would work without reboot ...

Do you plan an update which will allow PV resize WITHOUT reboots?? Would be great, a storage box should be online the whole time, and each downtime for these and that would be very annoying ...

regards,
    Lukas
    Yes, annoying. Assumed that Open-e uses LVM stuff --as some log messages insist--, handling of PV, VG and LV should work without reboots.

Similar problem is the creation --just creation!-- of iSCSI volumes when a warning box pops up that iSCSI connections would be resetted. I wonder why running connections are affected by creating a LV and setting it up to be usable for iSCSI. I can do all this on a Linux machine without a reset of running connections.

best,
    Robert