Visit Open-E website

Thread: iSCSI-Failover with Virtualiron / MS Initiator

Default iSCSI-Failover with Virtualiron / MS Initiator

Hi!

Four weeks ago, I got some testing results, that the failover of Open-E DSS does not completely support Virtualiron and MS iSCSI initiator.

Are there any news? Is the failover/failback transparent?
    Do the VMs crash in case of a open-e failover?

Greetings,
    Pril

Hi...

Problem with Virtualiron was already solved and one know problem with Windows initiator is on Windows 2008 when enabling cluster options. Unfortunately this is still not supported - you need to use Windows 2008 in standard mode and configure failover (HA cluster) only on the DSS - then it will work.

Hi Ke-s,

these are good news!
    Where can I get a test version of DSS and the manual how to set up failover?

When did the virtualiron problems get fixed?

Greetings,
    Phil

Is the Windows 2008 cluster problem based on this SCSI-3 problem (>> http://forum.open-e.com/showthread.php?t=1122)??

If I have "normal" Windows 2008 Server with Hyper-V (without Clustering!) and I use a iSCSI volume for the .VHDs, DSS failover will function properly?? Has anyone tested it?

Lukas

Most recent version of DSS addresses the iSCSI ID issue with Virtual Iron (DSS version 5._49). We will have a new DSS Demo-CD version very soon, we hope to have this ready before end of next week. Manual is downloaded from the GUI interface of DSS.

The reason for the issue with Windows 2008 cluster is the persistent reservation that is needed. We have not tested with Hyper-V. But I know that someone on the forum did mention it working.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Hi!

Last weekend, I started testing DSS 5._49 with virtualiron.

When Failover starts, my linux-VMs show I/O-errors and the filesystem changes to read-only until reboot.

Do you have any idea, what to do?

Greetings,
    Pril

Are there any error messages on the DSS? Do you have a dedicated Bond for the Volume Replicaiton?
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube