Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Schedule Snapshot Task

Default Schedule Snapshot Task

Hi!

I am using two DSS as failover cluster.

Now, I want to do SAN-based backups with an additional backup host, that mounts the snapshots of the DSS an backups them.

I can do snapshots, an I can mount and backup them, but I did not find any possibility to schedule snapshot tasks.

How can I schedule, that open-e takes every day at 9pm a snapshot of a volume and delete the snapshot of the day before?

Greetings
    Pril

When creating a Snapshot schedule go to the GUI in the following path:

MAINTENANCE -> snapshot -> Snapshots -> [snapshot_name] -> Function: Create schedule for snapshot task

Select the day or days for the time value. If you select no end time then the Snapshot will overwrite the next scheduled time.

For example:

M-T-W-T-F

Start Time 9AM (no end time)

Next day at 9AM will overwrite the previous Snapshot.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Hi!

Thank you, To-M!

I did not see, that I can set the schedule there.

Best wishes,
    Pril

Hi Todd,

that does not seem to work for me. I have setup a snapshot and created a schedule that should renew the snapshot on weekdays at 0:00 but that doesn't seem to happen.

The run-up is the following:

- created a snapshot and a schedule that says: Weekday Snapshot, Weekly Mo. Tu. We. Th. Fr. at 00:00
    - then the snapshot had been inactivated, due to teh fact that I copied more data on the voluem than would fit into the snapshot
    - actiuvated the snapshot again manually yesterday
    - the snapshot didn't remew last night at 0:00

So, could it be that, once a snapshot overflows, one has to wait until the next scheduled activation for the snapshot to re-appear?

Cheers,
    budy
    There's no OS like OS X!

Dear Budy,

Scheduling a snapshot was tested and it works fine. Id you press the green play button?

Please try testing it with another snapshot!

Regards,
    SJ

Hi SJ,

I have the same problems like budy.
    One snapshot is scheduled to be activated/renewed every day at 20:00.

If I press the green play button before 20:00, the snapshot is started but never renewed at 20:00. The task status shows the start time of the manual activation.

If i do not press the play button, the snapshot is activated correctly at 20:00 but never renewed and the task shows the start time of the first activation at 20:00.

Regards
    Matthias

Hi Matthias,

yes, I second that. I have tried that three times and I never could get it to work.
    I wanted to go live with my setup in Jan. but it seems that I can't.

Thats's really a pity.

Cheers,
    budy
    There's no OS like OS X!

Dear Budy,

As we mentioned earlier it works in our labs, I am sure we are missing something here. Can you download the logs and send it to support@open-e.com.

Regards,
    SJ

Hi SJ,

right. I have setup my volumes again, since I felt that I messed something up along my way, when I was playing around, but I will now recreate my replication setup and monitor it closely.

I will setup two snapshot schedules:

a) each weekday at 0:00, no end time
    b) each saturday at 0:00, no end time

Will this be a problem? Unfortuanetly, I cannot have a schedule that runs for exactly two days, say from Sat. 0:00 until Sun 23:59, can I?

The snapshot are for backing up the target volume and will be mounted ro on my backup server.

If this setup is okay, then I will proceed and watch out for any issues that are related to the problems I had and send the logs to support.

Cheers,
    budy
    There's no OS like OS X!

Hi all,

since I cannot get it to work, I now have e-mailed supportœopen-e.com with a complete log. Maybe they can tackle this.

Cheers,
    budy
    There's no OS like OS X!