Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nas not accessible from windows when user is assigned

Default nas not accessible from windows when user is assigned

When I assign a user to a nas it says and access it in windows explorer \\172.16.0.2\file-depo is not accessible. You might not have permission to use the network resource. blah blah blah

When i remove the user it allows me to access it. I know my password is good because I have the FTP option selected and it lets me login through FTP.
    So anybody know what I missed when I try to login using windows?

Any help is appreciated
    TIA

G'day Zeki,
    A few ideas.
    When windows connects to a SMB share it will try to auto authenticate, so sometimes you get the connection authenticated with anonymous etc, which does not have permission to connect to the actual share. Windows will only allow one username/password per session to the SMB server.

So the fix is on the windows box, issues a "net use /delete" to all of the connections to that SMB server, and then do a specific "net use \\\172.16.0.2\file-depo /user:yourname" from a cmd prompt.
    Or reboot your windows box.

Rgds Ben.

that is strange because it asks me for the login and password and that it would limit the number of sesions because while it has no login/password setup on the NAS then it would allow multiple sessions but I will try the commands and see what happens.

wow i just read what i wrote and its very confusing.. x_x

What I meant to say is that, it asks me for a login and password so I do not think it is logging in as anonymous user. I also do not think it is limiting the number of sessions because I can have multiple sessions while authentication was set as anonymous users.

Dear Zaki,

Can you try to access is as a "Guest" ? Is it the only share behaving that way?
    Try to connect from different client and see if its the same!

Regards,
    SJ

G'day Zeki,
    Did you get any errors from the command prompt?

Hmm.. what version of Windows are you using?

Rgds Ben

When I try logging in as a guest it works fine, but when I assign a user it doesn't let me in. I tried it on a different workstation with Windows XP and it can connect so I'm starting to think that there is something wrong with my workstation.

G'day Zeki,
    Quite possibly. Let us know the DOS error when you try it, and you may have a problem with the encryption level.
    Try dropping it down a notch.
    A description is available here.

Rgds Ben

ok I tried changing the security policy and it isn't helping. I've discovered another error.
    I created another share called vm-backup and I added the same user to access it as file-depo. I can access file-depo with no problems, but when I connect to vm-backup it prompts me for user name and password. I enter the same username and password as I did for file-depo and it gives me this error: \\172.16.0.2\vm-backup is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find out if you have access permissions. Multiple connection to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again.

I then tried the "Net use * /delete." Cleared all my sessions and it was working again. I guess the first time I tried net use I didn't include *. I just did "net use /delete" which is invalid syntax.

Out of curiosity is the DSS authenticating to ADS server or are you using our built in LDAP?
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube