Visit Open-E website

Thread: nas not accessible from windows when user is assigned

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default nas not accessible from windows when user is assigned

When I assign a user to a nas it says and access it in windows explorer \\172.16.0.2\file-depo is not accessible. You might not have permission to use the network resource. blah blah blah

When i remove the user it allows me to access it. I know my password is good because I have the FTP option selected and it lets me login through FTP.
    So anybody know what I missed when I try to login using windows?

Any help is appreciated
    TIA

G'day Zeki,
    A few ideas.
    When windows connects to a SMB share it will try to auto authenticate, so sometimes you get the connection authenticated with anonymous etc, which does not have permission to connect to the actual share. Windows will only allow one username/password per session to the SMB server.

So the fix is on the windows box, issues a "net use /delete" to all of the connections to that SMB server, and then do a specific "net use \\\172.16.0.2\file-depo /user:yourname" from a cmd prompt.
    Or reboot your windows box.

Rgds Ben.

that is strange because it asks me for the login and password and that it would limit the number of sesions because while it has no login/password setup on the NAS then it would allow multiple sessions but I will try the commands and see what happens.

wow i just read what i wrote and its very confusing.. x_x

What I meant to say is that, it asks me for a login and password so I do not think it is logging in as anonymous user. I also do not think it is limiting the number of sessions because I can have multiple sessions while authentication was set as anonymous users.

Dear Zaki,

Can you try to access is as a "Guest" ? Is it the only share behaving that way?
    Try to connect from different client and see if its the same!

Regards,
    SJ

G'day Zeki,
    Did you get any errors from the command prompt?

Hmm.. what version of Windows are you using?

Rgds Ben

Default solution

time settings, our ntp server was giving different times to our nas's

Setup > Hardware

G'day Alex,
    Good point. Kerberos is very touchy about timestamps.
    Just to explain for anyone reading this, Windows Authentication uses the Kerberos protocol. Part of the protocol is to encrypt the ticket using the current Timestamp, so long as the time between tickets is not more than 300 seconds, the ticket is valid.

Although I don't think this is the problem here, because Zeki is getting the "Multiple connections" error. Not "access denied" as I would expect for the Timestamp issue.

But I agree, syncing time across your systems makes life so much easier!
    Rgds Ben