Visit Open-E website
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: nas not accessible from windows when user is assigned

Quote Originally Posted by zeki893
    Multiple connection to a server or shared resource by the same user, using more than one user name, are not allowed. Disconnect all previous connections to the server or shared resource and try again.
    Yep, I think this is where you are coming unstuck.

(This is not a verified statement, just off the top of my head)
    When Windows authenticates to a network share it tries your logged on credentials(ie windows username etc), then tries the guest credentials.
    If the guest works, you have an "authenticated session"(even though it is a guest) with the CIFS/SMB server.
    If you then try and access another share that requires different authentication, it fails and prompts for a user/pass. But the kicker is that Windows will not then "renegotiate", and you get the Multiple sessions error.
    As I mentioned, the fix I use is to create a batch that deletes the session, then creates one with the right user/pass combo and you should be fine.

Rgds Ben

I believe Ben has figured this one out
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Default solution

time settings, our ntp server was giving different times to our nas's

Setup > Hardware

G'day Alex,
    Good point. Kerberos is very touchy about timestamps.
    Just to explain for anyone reading this, Windows Authentication uses the Kerberos protocol. Part of the protocol is to encrypt the ticket using the current Timestamp, so long as the time between tickets is not more than 300 seconds, the ticket is valid.

Although I don't think this is the problem here, because Zeki is getting the "Multiple connections" error. Not "access denied" as I would expect for the Timestamp issue.

But I agree, syncing time across your systems makes life so much easier!
    Rgds Ben