Visit Open-E website

Thread: Incremental and differential backup

Default Incremental and differential backup

I would like to know if people are using full with incremental backup and if if its work correctly because mine doesn't appear to be able to correctly identify changed files during
    the incremental/differential backup.

EX:

30 x virtual tapes of 5GB with option write only once enable and 1 week retention

first full backup use 104GB so tape 1 to 22 ( approx. 110GB ) at 12:44 = Succesfull

next programmed backup(differential) 23:00 same day with 8 tapes available ( 23 to 30 ) so approx 40GB = failed ( missing space)

I perfectly know that my data never changed for over 40GB ( not even 10GB ) and I'm facing this problem since day one, I tried with 3 tapes of 40GB , 1 tape of 160GB with write only once disable and its really look like open-e thinking that all my data changed since last backup because when I got 2 consecutive backup they are exactly the same size so open-e doesn't flag my files correctly in the backup db.

Dear Vkeven,

In order to use the incremental method, select it from the Setting -> General -> Backup Method menu. Please use the following method: "Incremental - Using modified time" (Reset Archive bit)

And what version you are using? Which agent?

Regards,
    SJ

Quote Originally Posted by Sh-J
    Dear Vkeven,

In order to use the incremental method, select it from the Setting -> General -> Backup Method menu. Please use the following method: "Incremental - Using modified time" (Reset Archive bit)

And what version you are using? Which agent?

Regards,
    SJ

Version 5.0.DB44000000.3025

I don't use any agent , I just want to do a simple backup of my SMB share with the local backup application and put it on a local attached drive ( dynamic00 ) with virtual tape named from 1 to 30 with retention 1 week. I choosed a simple setup with incremental backup and option "Make full backup every" 10 backups and another time open-e doesn't do its job correctly. I know that I don't have the last version but I'm not gonna waste more time if you could not assure me that the last version will solve this problem. For your info I'm an Open-E partner and this is another problem that will stop me to install it at my customers site.