Visit Open-E website

Thread: unable to mount NAS: RPC Program not registered

Default unable to mount NAS: RPC Program not registered

Hi,

I've got a problem when I want to mount my NAS. Let me give you a brief overview of the situation.
    I've got a NAS-XSR Enterprise as NAS, a Blade server running Fedora Core 5 on which the NAS used to be mounted. And I've got several testsystems (Windows, Linux).

Normally the link between NAS and server was fine, but since a couple of weeks I'm unable to mount it. The automount isn't working, manually mounting neither. I've tried to mount the system from the Blade server, and another Linux teststystem (automount and manual), both failed. I get the following error: "RPC: Program not registered", which, accordingly to my research, has to do with a problem on the NAS side.

Some facts:
    - Pinging the NAS works from all systems.
    - The shares on the NAS can be accessed from a Windows environment.
    - Restarting server or NAS didn't solve the problem.

After reading some topics on this forum I checked the NAS with rpcinfo. This is the output:

user:~$ rpcinfo -p serverip
    program vers proto port
    100000 3 tcp 111 portmapper
    100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
    user:~$
    Well, that's not right

What can I do to try to fix this?

I got some additional info from the 'critical_errors.log' which might be usefull, but I'm not sure.

Dec 1 14:38:57 nas kernel: hdd: packet command error: status=0x51 { DriveReady SeekComplete Error }
    Dec 1 14:38:57 nas kernel: hdd: packet command error: error=0x54 { AbortedCommand LastFailedSense=0x05 }
    Dec 1 14:38:57 nas kernel: ide: failed opcode was: unknown
    I hope someone has some suggestions to fix my system. Thnx!

- Tom

It could be a lot of reason why, but from what ports you have shown me I did not see the NFS ports.

I. Please enter this command from client side:
    1. rpcinfo -p IP_of_nfsserver
    You should see a list that contain: portmapper, nfs, mountd, nlockmgr, status

2. showmount -e IP_of_nfsserver
    You should see a list of NFS shares

II. Check if your ip address has sufficient right to enter chosen share

III. If above commands give a positive output, please use this mount options:
    mount -t nfs -o tcp, rsize=1500, wsize=1500 IP_of_nfsserver:/share/SHARE_NAME

IV. It could be a firewall on client side, for check it out, please turn off firewall.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

It could be a lot of reason why, but from what ports you have shown me I did not see the NFS ports.

I. Please enter this command from client side:
    1. rpcinfo -p IP_of_nfsserver
    You should see a list that contain: portmapper, nfs, mountd, nlockmgr, status

That appears to be the problem. When I enter 'rpcinfo -p IP_of_my_NAS_server' I only get the following:
    user:~$ rpcinfo -p serverip
    program vers proto port
    100000 3 tcp 111 portmapper
    100000 2 udp 111 portmapper
    user:~$
    I only get the Portmapper, and not the nfs, mountd, nlockmgr or status.

Try to disable the Firewall on your system and if it is disabled then you do not have NFS enable or loaded. Enable NFS on your system. Can you try another system that does have NFS loaded?
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

There are no firewalls.

NFS is loaded on the all the systems with wich I try to mount the NAS. Mounting other NFS shares don't give any problems. Only when I try to mount the OPEN-E NAS I get the error.

When I rpcinfo -p to the other NFS shares, they are all running the normal services for nfs (portmapper, nfs, mountd, nlockmgr, status). The NAS is onlu tunning portmapper.

Is there a way to start the correct services again on the NAS ?

If this is the case and you are sure that the workstations have NFS load and you can prove that it is loaded, then possibly it was turned off from the server side. Please enable NFS on our Server and for the share as well. To do this for the NAS Server please go to Setup then Server and enable this and for the Shares go to Resources and select the share for NFS file protocol.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"