Visit Open-E website
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Adding new iSCSI Volumes

Thread has average rating 5.00 / 5.00 based on 1 votes.
Thread has been visited 17907 times.

Default Maybe in next release?

Maybe this will be fixed in v6. But if so that sure sounds like the M$ way of doing things to keep people buying the next version of the software. And then v6 will have some serious limitations/bugs taht won't be fixed till v7, ...

Unhappy

Has this issue been fixed in DSS v6? I've looked through the V6 threads and haven't seen anything pertaining to this.

Yes, we are coming out with a fix for this issues in this months release for V6.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Will it only affect those who are not using replication?

It is for the new SCST that we are creating an update for all iSCSI functions and FC Targets.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Question

In V6, is yet possible to expand a volume that is in replication without knocking other replicating volumes offline? Or is it possible to add/remove replicated volumes without disturbing replicating volumes that are in use?

Thanks!

If the volumes are replicating you will need to stop the replication task. I believe in the future engineers are looking into this feature (not ETA!!) but the process would be that you would have to increase the Destination volume first then the Source for obvious reasons but for now you have to stop both and increase the size for both (being equal on both ends of course).

"" Or is it possible to add/remove replicated volumes without disturbing replicating volumes that are in use?""

With manual failover yes but if you need to perform this in Auto Failover no.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Thanks, Todd.

"If the volumes are replicating you will need to stop the replication task. I believe in the future engineers are looking into this feature (not ETA!!) but the process would be that you would have to increase the Destination volume first then the Source for obvious reasons but for now you have to stop both and increase the size for both (being equal on both ends of course)."

- In order to adjust the size of a volume in V6 (unlike V5) I would only have to turn off the replication task that is associated with the volume. No effect on the Virtual IP or having to turn off failover to make the adjustments?

Thanks for the answers, I just want to make sure that what I need to have is available in the latest release before I purchase the upgrade.

I should have made this clearer - you are correct that you will have to stop the Auto Failover service on both and the replication task on both then modify the volume from the action pull down button from the volume manger then take off the replication then expand the volume on both ends then reverse the process - I need to make a video of this - just need a little more time - maybe by next 2 weeks i will have this done.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Thanks, Todd.

So once I take the auto-failover off, that will break/disable the virtual IP causing each volume that is connected to a server to "break" until the VIP is re-enabled by turning the failover back on.