Visit Open-E website

Thread: DSS lite activation disaster

Default DSS lite activation disaster

I knew from the beginning, but now it has happened.

DSS Lite wants to reactive and the f*cking activation servers are gone.

On January 18th 2008 the official statement from To-M was:
    ---
    Anyone who has activated DSS LITE before January 31st will be able to reactivate it until end of life.

I hope that we can all move forward and trust that DSS LITE will continue to function for you and your needs for a very long time.
    ---

Well, end of life was ~10-11 Month later, not a 'very long time'. :-(

Current status: I have an old DSS Lite 2TB Stick, which shows all my drives and config, but is not activated. Activation is NOT possible. Access to the data NOT possible!

Downloaded new trial version. Checked MD5 ->OK. Start from CD, after some time quits with an error.

Started again, System comes up, but config is gone (Note: I did see all configuration data while booting with the 'old' DSS Lite version)

However, i only made the really essential configuration settings and I am copying all data from the system.

Every online activation system for critical system parts is a really bad idea, a broken activation system is just braindead.

You did no favor to your reputation. As long as there is an online activation required to be able to (easily) access the data on open-e DSS lite it just of no real use...

The DSS Lite activation server will be closed until the next DSS Lite release.
    All clients that have problems with DSS Lite are instructed to use the DSS Demo CD, until the next release planed for first quarter of 2009

Please note that DSS Demo CD has support for 16TB and users using more than 1TB will have problems changing back to DSS Lite as DSS Lite is only licensed for 1TB. Please do not increase the storage capacity during the use of the DSS Demo CD.

This was posted on the forum:

http://forum.open-e.com/showthread.p...light=DSS+LITE

I recommend to use the Demo-CD (provides up to 60days of usage). Also you can burn another Demo-CD and replicate your data if need be. Then when the new version is released you can use the DSS Lite again.

We are working hard to provide an updated version of DSS Lite for your benefit. I am sure with the Demo-CD this will provide you the time you need to access your data until the new release.

Please be patient as we release this new version with more opportunity then the previous DSS Lite.

Again from our past conversations we offered a free product (without updates or support options) (revising previous text from last post) but realized this is becoming out of date. Now we are deciding on how the new DSS Lite will be released with upgrade capabilities, software updates and support options, as DSS Lite has gained so much momentum. We will provide more details next month on our website as to the future of existing DSS Lite users and the new DSS Lite.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube