Visit Open-E website

Thread: How to tell if initial volume replication has finished?

Default How to tell if initial volume replication has finished?

Hi,

yesterday I have setup a 3.5 TB volume with replication. I have setup a 40 MB/sec standard replication task and it seems that the replication has not finished after 32 hrs.

The hardware monitor shows no more hdd activity, but I didn't receive an e-mail about the status change of the source and target volume. I tried to take a look at the logs, but I couldn't find any clue of whether the initial replication has finished or not.

Cheers,
    budy
    There's no OS like OS X!

Well, you didn't say if you did this or not, but did you click "STATUS" "tasks" and then click the down-arrow on the replication tasks to see if they're consistent or not?

Also are you using the Target while this is completing the replication task. If so then this could add more time but does sound like a long time.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Thanks Robobeat - but I am not sure if this tasks window shows whether teh sync has been completed. It seems rather that it shows whether the sync has been started or stopped.

So, when I came in this morning the RAIDs were both showing no activity, so the replication has somehow stopped, but there was no sign of that in the tasks window.

@Todd: no I didn't use the destination volume et all. In fact I didn't had any data on that iSCSI volume, because I wanted the initial replication to finish before I put data on that volume.

I have now removed the replication tasks and created a new one. Let's see, if this works out better this time.

Cheers,
    budy
    There's no OS like OS X!

Hi,

I had yesterday setup my volumes again and this time replication has finished. Well, I think that this was the same the last time, but neither last time, nor this time did I get an e-mail from either of the two DSS'. I did get other e-mails from both, so e-mail notification is setup correctly.

Why that?

Cheers,
    budy
    There's no OS like OS X!

You should receive email notification on events of the failover but not from the Status of the Volume Replication from the Source to Destination only if there was some failure to complete. Though we could look into future releases to have this event once the replication of the volumes is complete to send notification.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube