Visit Open-E website

Thread: Demo-CD Dilemma

Unhappy Demo-CD Dilemma

Hi, i just want to clear some points about using the demo product.

First of all in many threads and so, demo product said to be good for 30 days whereas the download section says for 60. Which one is correct?

Next thing is at the end of the trial period where to go if i like to continue to use your product? I see a faq entry which makes me little confusing. It says ;

I've downloaded the Demo CD and tested it. Nice. Its a great idea as we can direct prospects to test it with the Demo CD before committing to an actual purchase.

Ad. 1. If you like our product, and you have already everything configured, to keep all the settings, you just have to buy normal Disk On Module (ENTERPRISE version) with our software inside, and boot the system from it (instead of CD)
    So where is this Enterprise or Smb version? I can't see any product named like that. May be it's an old notation for your product family but i need an explanation.

And the most terrifying thing is the second part of the answer ;

Ad. 2. There is only one limitation - you would have to buy also ENTERPRISE version. SMB do not posses so many features as ENTERPRISE, and the settings are not compatible. You would need to configure the Software again, backup the data, and restore them after placing the normal Module.
    So that means i can't buy a license and enter it in to the software and everything will continue to work smoothly? What does that mean and what kind of an approach for a nearly unlimited configuration demo cd?

Also i can't find any online reseller which is selling such a license or so. Are you selling that kind of licences directly or it's just not exist?

At the end all that means i must buy a piece of hardware with your software that's promoting about being open in standards and the software.

Please enlighten me? Even all the answers may be not in my favor, again i want to go with your product but it'll devastate me if i have to carry some more burden because of that approach.

DSS Demo-CD is a 60 day evaluation. The FAQ that you read is referencing to an EOL product that is no longer available.

Our products are listed from link below and we only sell the USB modules with the pre-installed operating system.

From the link below you will be able to review which product fits your needs. You can also review the comparison chart between them on what feature they offer.

When using the DSS Demo-CD we feel that 60 days is enough to test and evaluate. If you purchase one of our products when using the Demo-CD just remove the Demo-CD and install the USB module and boot the system.

Below from the link How to Buy look for a distributor or reseller near your region.

Products:
    http://open-e.com/products/

Comparison:
    http://open-e.com/products/open-e-dss/comparison/

How to Buy:
    http://open-e.com/where-to-buy/
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Default New questions

Thanks for the answers Todd. This brings a couple of new questions ;

1 - When i'm using the demo cd, where is my configuration stored?

2 - After i decide which product i'll go with (nas,iscsi or dss) this demo system could be
    booted with any of your usb product offerings without losing any of my data?

Regards
    Gokalp

1 - When i'm using the demo cd, where is my configuration stored?

We recomend that you save your configuration and setup settings from the GUI in MAINTENANCE -> miscellaneous -> Function: Save settings.

2 - After i decide which product i'll go with (nas,iscsi or dss) this demo system could be
    booted with any of your usb product offerings without losing any of my data?

Correct, you wont lse any of your data.

Here is the online help section concerning Saving your settings.

Function: Save settings

With this function you can store configuration settings.

Select the settings you want to store and click Apply. Settings can be saved locally on the server (they will be visible in the Restore settings function) and/or as a downloadable file. Each time you save settings locally a new entry will be created and you will be able to select which settings to restore during the restore process.

You can restore settings using the Restore settings function.
    Note
    Settings will also be saved automatically every time the server is restarted or shut down. These are stored in files following the naming convention auto_save_X / auto_save_last.
    MAINTENANCE -> miscellaneous -> Function: Save settings.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

im starting to like this forum a lot cos of the help which is available in here...

Hey gcakici

when you save your settings I usually select both options just in case.
    you can always delete it later