Visit Open-E website

Thread: Ssh?

Question Ssh?

Hello, I was just wondering if Open-e is considering adding SSH capability to the DSS package anytime soon. This would enable easy, SECURE synchronization between two open-e boxes and also allow one to backup automatically from different operating systems (esp. linux) automatically. Also, it will allow integration with third-party off-site backup with places such as rsync.net.

I hope everyone had a great holiday.

Sorry to say that this is currently not on our roadmap, the reason is we have only received minimal requests for this. All our roadmaps are booked for the next 3 quarters.
    A great suggestion and possibly our development team will look into this down the road .
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Hi,

i've already suppirted that request!

Again, ssh (or other api) support is very, very important in any block-level-access scenario like:

- attaching a server (linux oo windows) to an iSCSI or fc-lun
    - attaching any virtualizing platform (VMware, Microsoft, Oracle, XEN, ..) via iSCSI or FC

reason:
    if you like to use the storage snapshot capabilities you HAVE to syncronize the server state (RAM, Disk-Cache) with the underlaying storage BEFORE creating a (useful) storage snapshot.

Without that support (via ssh or api) the open-e snapshots are almost senseless in above scenarios

Erich

Excellent point!

I also second this request. SSH access would allow much greater flexibility in working with the DSS.

-Michael

Didn't see this thread. We really need this. Some operations in DSS requires a lot of steps. It's very hard to achieve 24 hour operation without automation and automation requires some API or interface to link operations together such as shuting down Virtual Servers, initiating failover on DSS, changing iSCSI portal information, refreshing targets, starting up virtual servers, etc.

I would also second this!
    Would be very easier to configure things in open-e.

BR
    Matthias

We do plan on having this feature, we hope to have this towards the end of this year. Engineers know that it is easy to do, the difficult part complying to our standards. Please be patient as we have so many requests currently scheduled.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube