Visit Open-E website

Thread: Open-E DSS and Microsoft iSCSI Initiator

Default Open-E DSS and Microsoft iSCSI Initiator

Hi,

I am trying to access an iSCSI Target on Open-E DSS. With a Windows 2003 Server and the MS iSCSI Initiator this is no problem. Trying to acces the target from a Windows 2000 Server this does not work correctly. I see the iSCSI Partition in the Windows Disk Manager, I can create and format Partitions, but I get an error "F:\ Das System kann das angegebene Gerät nicht finden" (means: "The system cannot find the given device.") when I try to open the new drive. There are no errors messages in the event viewer.
    I have tried nearly all versions of MS iSCSI Initiator between 1.06 and 2.08, but with all of them it's the same behaviour. I did not find anything to this error in the net.

Thanks in advance for any hints

Der Nasenmann

I 've forgot: I tried the MS iSCSI Iniatiator on two different Windows 2000 Server Machines. There are no Firewalls/TCP-IP Filters installed.

Der Nasenmann

Was the iSCSI Volume created in Block IO or File IO ? Try File IO w/ Initialization. Is this on a separate Target and LUN from the Windows 2003 LUN?
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Hi nasenmann72

Is your 2000 server updated to the latest service pack ?

Here is a link for remote storage and some iSCSI issues:
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317369
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/909585
    http://support.microsoft.com/kb/839686
    Let us know if this helps

Hi,

thanks for your replies!

@To-M:
    Yes, the iSCSI volume is on a seperate Target and LUN. I've tried both Block IO and Try File IO w/ Initialization, but it ends in the same error.

@To-L:
    Yes, the windows 2000 is up to date via Windows Update Services. The links you posted unfortunately did not fix the issue. But here are some additional infos:

- the iSCSI volume is formatted with Windows 2000 version of NTFS
    - the iSCSI Initiator service is running
    - I additionally installed MS Remote Storage, but it did not recognise the iSCSI volume

Here's a screenshot of the device manager which shows, that the iSCSI volume (F should be ok...

Just a thought, try with a smaller size like 10GB. Also when at the format partition wizard in windows try to use the "Allocation unit size of 4096 (don’t use the default).
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Hi,

tried small partition with different allocation unit sizes, but this did not the job... oh my, oh my!

To-L will try to find a Windows 2000 server and test, he hopes he has this and let us know.

If anyone has a Windows 2000 server can you test this and let us know. It should work!
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Hi nasenmann72

I just completed a fresh install of Windows Server 2000, I updated to service pack 4
    and downloaded the Microsoft iSCSI initiator-2.04-build3273-x86fre
    There are 3 different versions of the iSCSI initiator-2.04, do you have the correct one installed?
    It looks as it depends on the CPU.

I was able to connect and mount to both a file I/O and Block I/O Lun
    I also copied files to both lun's.

It looks as you did add the Lun to the target.
    Configuration-> iscsi target manager->target volume manager

For the block I/O did you get message to format it first?

I would double check your network, if possible make small network with only the DSS and the win 2000 server with a switch to test.

Also check your NIC's could be a setting somewhere that is blocking you.

Do you have any firewall applications on the Win 2000 server ?

Also check for a firewall in you network.