Visit Open-E website
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Another couple orders of magnitude performance: RDMA with Infiniband or 10Gbe

G'day,
    Thought I would "bump" this topic and pop Tiered storage for SSD/SAS/Sata Previous post
    I agree with enealDC that SSD are the next evolution. The performance we are seeing with Databases on SLC in RAID1 is outstanding. But lets face it, it will be a long time before 1.5TB SATA are displaced by SSD.
    But the amount of data that benefits from really high IOPS or transfer rates is actually quite small (in my experience). Most data on our clients networks is taken up by images and email(PST's).

So the ability to seamlessly shift frequently accessed data to faster storage and older/archived data to cheaper storage would be fantastic.

Cheers Ben

Hey Beng. You are spot on! Understanding the IO requirements is a critical component of virtualization and storage management. I think not too many folks really spend time trying to understand the best blend of mix of the various types of storage when approaching these two topics. With the economy the way it is, there is less money to spend (unless you are a bank with bail out funds). Knowing where to put the high IO, but high cost storage and exactly how much to put is very important. Being able to leverage the different tiers and quality of storage is going to be critical at this junction while we wait for paradigm to shift and costs to drop. And you are right, 1.5 TB SATA drives are not going to be displaced anytime soon. But there is a danger with drive sizes getting so large. We have to constantly remind ourselves (and our customers) that delivering IO is the name of the game when it comes to SATA volumes and that larger is not necessarily *better*.