Visit Open-E website
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hardware RAID setup advice (general storage question)

Default Hardware RAID setup advice (general storage question)

We are using DSS to present NFS volumes to ESX. The underlying RAID setup currently is:

logical drive 1 is RAID 1+0: 8 x 300 GB drives for VMDK/virtual machine files

logical drive 2 is RAID 5: 4 x 300 GB drives for backup,snapshots,sync,etc.

I was wondering if that layout makes sense in trying to separate backup,sync,etc activity from production virtual machine activity? Or, would performance be better overall if I just RAID 1+0 all disks, more spindles, and carved up the storage as needed?

So, there are 12 x 300 GB drives in the storage server. What config makes sense? I am leaning toward performance over storage space.

Thanks,
    SG

I personally have not tested VMware and a RAID 1+0 on DSS but if the Snapshots, backup is not that much during operations I would go with the whole 12 drives on the RAID 1+0.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Ok. Since I'm new to DSS setup, how would I best use a full RAID 1+0 setup to:

1. create NFS shares to present to ESX for virtual machines
    2. create snapshots, backups and then sync to a standy DSS for DR?

I guess item 2 is the biggest unknown right now. In other words, what is the best way to backup and sync the data to a 2nd DSS, while not impacting normal business production if I go the full 12x300 RAID 1+0 setup? Your response is much appreciated.

thanks,
    SG

1. create NFS shares to present to ESX for virtual machines

Use the DSS and create a NAS Logical Volume then create a Share and enable the NFS file protocol. Store your ISO images for VMware.

2. create snapshots, backups and then sync to a standy DSS for DR?

Using another DSS use the Auto Failover feature ( see link below for more details).
    Currently I have not had time to test all the other features with Snapshots and VMware.
    For the Backup you can use our NAS Backup feature via a mapped Share from the NAS Logical Volume.

Library
    Product Presentations

http://www.open-e.com/library/product-presentations/

2008 - Open-E Volume Replication with Failover over a LAN, December
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

We have the same situation in our infrastructure.

We are using the first DSS for serving NFS Volumes to ESX, make a volume replication to the second DSS and create a snapshot of the backup volume every night.
    So, I thought, the performance impact of creating snapshots is not affecting the production DSS.
    But, I have not yet tested the consistency of the ESX images in the snapshot.

@To-M:
    The auto-failover feature is only for ISCSI-Volumes, isn't it?

regards
    Matthias

Yes the Auto-Failover feature is only for ISCSI-Volumes. We are working on Auto Failover for NAS as well - we hope to have before this year ends. NAS Auto Failover is extremely difficult to do as there are so more issues to contend with then iSCSI.

But it is coming
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Hi,
    we're also planing such a setup and i'm wondering why we should use NAS instead of iscsi targets.

I have a test setup with 2 dss storages and 2 ESXi Servers. Iscsi is working fine until now. Have I overlooked some important points?

You are fine with iSCSI Target use the NAS is optional for storing files with using the NFS protocol from the DSS.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Quote Originally Posted by mhubert
    We are using the first DSS for serving NFS Volumes to ESX, make a volume replication to the second DSS and create a snapshot of the backup volume every night.
    So, I thought, the performance impact of creating snapshots is not affecting the production DSS.
    Hi To-M!

What's your opinion of the performance issue I stated above?
    Is this a correct way to handle a backup scenario with two DSS?

Thanks
    regards
    Matthias

If only creating a few Snapshots running at the same time then performance will not be an issue. Link below from our Knowledge Base on Snapshots.

http://kb.open-e.com/entry/2/

The total number of snapshots is dependent on the LVM, but 255 is a safe
    number. There are, however, definite limitations as to the number of ACTIVE
    snapshots:

32bit system:
    - 10 per LV
    - 20 per system

64bit system:
    - 1 per LV
    - 10 per system
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell