Visit Open-E website

Thread: IOPS question

Default IOPS question

I am looking to use the promise VTJ610sD storage shelf with the need to support 400VM what type of IOPS do I need to support that type of infrastructure? It is mostly small hosting sites and such.

You say you are trying to support 400 individual Virtual Machines?

Measuring IOPs is quite easy - but very time consuming. Go to a box and monitor it for a good 3 days or so and average out the number of disk operations and the size of those operations and the percentage of reads versus writes.

No sane person can say 'Well you need X + Y to support 400 VMs'. Thats something you are going to have to look to your environment to get the answers.

I'll say this though, based on what I've seen you can get 1.5 - 2.5 VMs on a single SATA drive from an I/O perspective. That's at least in my environment.

Good response, I was googling and it was difficult to get this X and Y value like you said.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

jayglate, I am wondering if you have any further information regarding the Promise storage. Did you purchase it how is the performance working for you so far?

Thanks