Visit Open-E website

Thread: Safety of Upgrade

Default Safety of Upgrade

Hello all,

I put Open-E DSS in to production service about 5 or 6 months ago. I am running version 5.0.DB47000000.3216. I am only using the iSCSI functionality. Overall it is running pretty well, though I get some timeout errors during high IO periods.

There are some fixes in recent releases that I am really interested in, but am somewhat terrified to upgrade due to having about 90% of my data on the DSS. It is all backed up, but the though of restoring 1.5TB from backup is painful.

I'm wondering what everyone's upgrade experience has been like. Anyone ever break their iSCSI LUNS with an upgrade?.. or am I just overly paranoid?

Any feedback is appreciated.

Thanks,
    Chris

I've never lost data with any of open-e's products, in spite of upgrading many different times and having lots of problems with some of the older model USB DOMs.

Just to be sure, I'd burn a copy of the Demo CD. If something bad happens with the upgrade, you can just boot to the Demo CD while Open-E Support sorts it all out.

Your LUNs and Targets will be fine. Before updating to DSS version 49 please make sure to save your settings from the GUI in MAINTENANCE -> miscellaneous -> Function: Save settings and take all options.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Our update to Atlanta was done by an usb stick and took about 30 minutes without problems.

Anyway after the upgrade we have this new issues:
    - Webinterface do not show Intel IO/AT stats (alle channels are unused, bytes are 0) maybe Intel IO/AT is not used anymore even in 64bit mode
    - FTP is still very slow, ftp commands like "ls" take seconds
    - 3ware raid snmp mib is not included anymore
    - NFS mount take a few seconds, after the mount NFS speed is ok

Thanks we have your case ticket in our support group.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by phil
    - FTP is still very slow, ftp commands like "ls" take seconds
    - NFS mount take a few seconds, after the mount NFS speed is ok
    It could be DNS / ReverseDNS problem. I suggest to check how fast it respond (if you have more than one how fast each respond) and if the DSS is available to contact DNS anyway. There is a PING function in console tools that could help you.

yes you were right. There was a typo in our primary dns server...

So nfs and ftp problems are solved now.