Visit Open-E website

Thread: Largest volume size?

Unhappy Largest volume size?

Hi there,

We've recently purchased open-e via one of the resellers and are planning to use it as a vmware iSCSI target to work with Vmotion and alike.

We're running the software with 9TB of net-storage created as one large RAID-5 volume. This single volume is then assigned as a single LUN. However, i can't seem to get our ESX nodes to actually see the LUN. They can connect to the target server just fine and their connections show up in the connection manager. They just don't return a LUN, no errors are logged anywhere as far as i can see.

Also when connecting a windows iSCSI initiator i can't see the disk, only in some rare occasion when initiating on a newly installed machine with no previous connections.

We're not using CHAP authentication and are currently not disallowing any IP-adresses(all fields are empty). I have tried to explicitly allow the ESX node's IP-adresses by putting them in the allow field.. unfortunatly to no avail.

I am just completely clueless as to why it isnt connecting, hence my question.. is 9TB as a single volume/LUN to large?

Any input would be greatly apreciated.

Kind regards,
    J. van Vierzen

Solved. When creating multiple 1 or 2TB volumes and then adding those as individual LUN's it works just fine. I didn't think the 2TB limit for vmware ESX would prevent it from even scanning the LUN's.

Yes, this issue is written in the VMware supported features on the max. size.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube