Visit Open-E website

Thread: adding LV's after sync?

Default adding LV's after sync?

Hello,

With iSCSI failover running just fine, I cannot find a way to go back and add more LVs/LUNS without having to turn everything off, impacting the Xen nodes, adding the new LVs/LUNS, and then re-enabling failover?

I can get to the point of creating the LVs/LUNS, but you cannot add the task to replicate to the "Failover Tasks" section, the apply is greyed out.

Am I missing something? Do properly implement failover you need to have all your LVs/LUNS defined up front or else shut everything down, add new ones, bring it all back up?

Thanks,
    Tom

Tom,

You are correct that this is the proper procedure that you will need to stop the replication then add the new replicated volumes in to the failover task.

This is also similar when increasing the iSCSI Logical volumes that use the manual replication where you have to stop the replication and then expand the logical volume then re-enable the replication task for both the source and destination.

In future releases we will look into this to make it seamless.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Todd,

Thanks, thought so.

Just so I am 100% clear, stopping the failover services also stops the VIP and means everything has to be taken down (complete outage) while doing this, or am I missing something else?

A complete outage of both the primary and redundant "SAN", right?

Thanks,
    Tom

Correct, as once you stop the service you will stop the VIP as well.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

... and this is IMHO not good for a fail over cluster! If I'm running a clustered HA SAN, I want to do everything (! LV expansion, RAID changes, adding LUNs ...) WITHOUT stopping the depending services (VMWare, XEN, Hyper-V, ...). This is the reason why I want to use 2 replicated/mirrored machines ...

I hope, open-e is working on this issue! It's really a great product, but these small things are very painful.

Is there any workaround for this virt. IP problem? Maybe MPIO with 2 NICs (one virtual, one physical)??

regards,
    Lukas

Our engineers totally agree with you and we will work on this but we need more time.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by To-M
    Our engineers totally agree with you and we will work on this but we need more time.
    Good boys !
    regards,
    Lukas

descience.NET
    Dr. Lukas Pfeiffer
    A-1140 Wien
    Austria
    www.dotnethost.at

DSS v6 b4550 iSCSI autofailover with Windows 2008 R2 failover cluster (having still some issues with autofailover).

2 DSS: 3HE Supermicro X7DBE BIOS 2.1a, Areca ARC-1261ML FW 1.48, 8x WD RE3 1TB, 1x Intel PRO1000MT Dualport, 1x Intel PRO1000PT Dualport.

2 Windows Nodes: Intel SR1500 + Intel SR1560, Dual XEON E54xx, 32 GB RAM, 6 NICs. Windows Server 2008 R2.

This is a big must have!

Thanks for working to make it seamless!