Visit Open-E website

Thread: Help: Cannot manage raid controller

Exclamation Help: Cannot manage raid controller

Hello all,

I just set up Open-E DSS with the Live CD on a dell precision. I have a PCI-X dell Perc controller plugged into standard PCI. connected via 4 channels are 4 30 bay drive arrays with 15 drives in each.

I was able to configure the array in the PERC bios. Open-E does see the array so I was able to format it and share it off to our network via CIFS with AD authentication.

I am still having one problem. I cannot manage the array from Open-E. I cant even receive error messages if i pull a drive because of this. Also Its not possible in a production environment to reboot the machine to enter the Perc configuration utility so getting this to work is a MUST.

I am strongly considering purchasing Open-E licenses but i need to evaluate how it interfaces with the PERC.

Perhaps my card isn't supported properly. I believe its a Dell PERC2QC PERC 2/QC

When i try to use the console to enter the raid utility i receive

"cannot open /dev/megaraid0"

Thanks for all your help and advice in advance

I have not worked with the PERC 2 controller before but seeing that is possible that being LSI you could use the MegaRAID Storage Manager tool. I believe you can install this software on a Windows system then connect to the DSS server.

Also the latest DSS Demo version is from link below but this can only be installed onto a USB or Hard Drive no CD function yet.

http://www.open-e.com/account/register/demo/

Hope this helps.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

I was checking around and i fount that "cannot open /dev/megaraid0" is usually due to out of date kernel modules.

What exactly is the procedure for updating the kernel and or modules on an open-e system?

If you are using the DSS version that is the TRIAL 60 day of DSS then this is the latest version that we have and is using the kernel 2.6.27.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Hi guys,

I am having exactly the same problem:

"cannot open /dev/megaraid0"

My RAID controllers are Intel SRCS28X (same as a LSI Megaraid 300-8X)

Todd mentioned the other day to me while working on a diferent problem that I could use the RAID Web Console 2, but neither the RAID Web Console 2 nor the MegaRAID Storage Manager support my controller as these tools seem to work only with SAS controller and the SRCS28X is a SATA controller...

Any other idea of what can I do to manage my RAID controllers (other than from the BIOS of course) or why the console RAID utility does not work?