Visit Open-E website

Thread: hardware

Default hardware

hi all

im new to the forum i work in a school and we'r looking to get the open e software
    but im looking to builld my one sever/pc just aslking what type of hardware everyone is useing to help me decide if i need to get dedicated sever or build it my self

Hi madmick22

You could build your server, I suggest at least a dual core and min of 2 G of memory.
    also check the hardware compatability list on the web site.
    I would suggest an intel nic, have had better performance with them.
    use at least raid 5

Have fun

G'day MadMick,
    One of the great things about Open-E is that it is pretty compatible with most hardware.
    The specs that Symm have listed are a good place to start.
    It depends on what your needs are, and whether you are looking to try out Open-E or build a serious NAS to store TB's of data.

A whitebox system will work fine, we have them running on everything from converted HP Workstations/Intel MB, or TyanMB/Areca Controller, to Intel MC212/Adaptec 5805 servers.

Also, make sure that you have current firmware for your Bios/RAID and disks.
    We have had a few issues with Adaptec and Seagate drives that are a real pain until you update all of the firmware levels.
    But to start you can simple use the Open-E software RAID and the MB controller.

Good luck.

Rgds Ben