Visit Open-E website
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: vSphere 4 - Support on the Way?

Most appreciated!
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"
    Facebook | Twitter | YouTube

Set up my test environment about 10 min ago.

Installed DSS v6 Beta and vSphere 4 on some junk machines today and setup the environment. Currently installing the Win2k3 VM and I will bang at it for a day or so and send Todd the logs from both systems to see if there is anything weird with the interaction of the machines.

Drew

Is V6 beta already available? I can't find any links on te site...

Todd -
    Quick question(s).

Currently all our production VMWare 3.5 is on an OpenFiler iSCSI SAN. We are moving forward with Open-E because of the iSCSI fail over and volume replication. I started to setup 2x Open-E trials and had the volume replication and iSCSI failover working. My plan was to move all the VM's w/ Storage VMotion from openfiler to open-e once I was confident the performance and stability was what we were looking for and then purchase 2 - 4TB DSS licenses. Once this was complete, we would upgrade our VMWare 3.5 to vSphere 4. After reading this post, I am now hesitant to pump the brakes on this approach. I did get the beta from you (thanks very much) and have the second SAN upgraded. I am rather impressed so far and actually excited for this release because you have just fixed my USB issues with my Dell 2950's. I have a 4GB SATA DOM that I was able to install version 6 on with no issues! This was how OpenFiler was setup so I happen to have extra SATA DOMs.

Now...since I am testing these systems on our production vmware, I want to make sure I don't get stuck in a bind before upgrading VMware. Since v5 of Open-E will not work with vSphere 4, but testing goes well with the beta of v6 what are the next steps? Will version 6 be available within the 60 day trial? If I go ahead and purchase the 2 version 5 modules, will I be able to use version 6 beta with vsphere 4 without it expiring and losing data?

I hope this makes some sense and if not, please feel free to send me a private message and we can arrange a call. I want to help out in the beta testing, but I also have a deadline I must meet with providing redundant storage for vmware and upgrading to vsphere. I might be able to dig up some test hardware, but I don't think I could really put it to the test like I could with our production :-)

Any questions, let me know...

Jason

I'm essentially in the same boat.

My test setup with the v6 has proven to not cause errors on vSphere4, at least in the VMKernel log aspect. I have yet to see the logs from DSS v6, I will be sending my log bundles to Todd tomorrow morning.

Jason,

You can use the beta version and if all goes well with your testing you can purchase the DSS V6 and restore your settings that you saved from the beta version from the Maint. > Misc. GUI section - please take all options.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Todd -
    Sounds great. Will V6 be available before the 60 day trial ends? Can I purchase a key direct, or through a reseller?

Thanks again!

DSS V6 will be available before the 60 day trial ends and you will need to purchase thru a reseller of distributor for your location from link below.

http://www.open-e.com/partners/solution-providers/

or

http://www.open-e.com/where-to-buy/distributors/
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"

Todd,

If we currently have version 5, do we have to purchase version 6 or will this be a free upgrade?

Thx,

Christian

I know that there will be an upgrade cost but not sure how this will be as I don't handle the pricing. Pricing will be announced later.
    All the best,

Todd Maxwell

Follow the red "E"